Menu

PSA: change the filter under your range hood!

dsmith

We had a scary incident tonight! Dh had a flare up in the frying pan from some fat igniting, and it went really high! He immediately put a lid on it to contain it, but it went so high that the flames hit the range hood. The filter caught fire, and if dh hadn't reacted immediately it could have been a disaster! We keep meaning to buy new filters, but always forget. We won't forget to replace them ever again!!

• Sad 11

48 minutes ago, dsmith said:

We had a scary incident tonight! Dh had a flare up in the frying pan from some fat igniting, and it went really high! He immediately put a lid on it to contain it, but it went so high that the flames hit the range hood. The filter caught fire, and if dh hadn't reacted immediately it could have been a disaster! We keep meaning to buy new filters, but always forget. We won't forget to replace them ever again!!

Oh wow, scary.   My filters aren’t really replacement type.  I clean them……last time I waited too long and it was a huge process of soaking in mean green all night to get the grease out.  Definitely needs to be done more often.  I did not even know replacing was an option. 

Wow! I’m so glad it was controllable!!!

I splurged big time on a super duty range hood, and it told me to wash my filters just the other day. After finally digging out the manual and figuring out how to open the hood, those things were pretty gross after less than 4 months, with limited cooking that first month or so.

Then I had to figure out how to make it stop telling me to clean the filters, which was described on the page BEFORE the one dedicated to how to clean the filters. @@

I think I deeply cleaned our old $40 range hoods once in 17 years across the two of them. 😳 So thanks for pointing out how lucky I was to not burn my house down!!!