Menu

Nothing New Press

Elizabeth86

50 minutes ago, LMD said:

I have an older edition of this. Happy to answer any questions. 😊

Yay!
My first question would be that this curriculum is just basically a booklist, right? 

I see that is goes through high school. My oldest is just in 6th, but I’ve just been looking at doing history as a family.

I guess the biggest mystery to me is scheduling. Like, idk how many books someone should choose for each topic/how long to spend on each topic. That sort of thing. 

20 hours ago, Elizabeth86 said:

Yay!
My first question would be that this curriculum is just basically a booklist, right? 

I see that is goes through high school. My oldest is just in 6th, but I’ve just been looking at doing history as a family.

I guess the biggest mystery to me is scheduling. Like, idk how many books someone should choose for each topic/how long to spend on each topic. That sort of thing. 

Yeah pretty much just a booklist. Each section has a little intro and the books are sorted by grade and type (fiction, reference etc).

I'll pull it off the shelf and see if it has any info about how to schedule books. 🙂

• Like 1

Sorry got distracted by a baby 😄

So I've pulled the book off my shelf, there's about 10 pages of Introduction on how to use the book but it's quite generalised (but good!) information. 

She puts a timeline of key events at the end of each section, which could be a good base to know what events to cover. 

I have used this book a fair bit in putting together history courses, it is a handy thing to have on the shelf. The scheduling questions, I got a feel for that by looking at a lot of curriculum samples. I tend to choose what we want to study for the year, then choose our priorities within that, decide how much time we want to spend on it and that will all dictate how many/which books we actually use. 

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, LMD said:

Sorry got distracted by a baby 😄

So I've pulled the book off my shelf, there's about 10 pages of Introduction on how to use the book but it's quite generalised (but good!) information. 

She puts a timeline of key events at the end of each section, which could be a good base to know what events to cover. 

I have used this book a fair bit in putting together history courses, it is a handy thing to have on the shelf. The scheduling questions, I got a feel for that by looking at a lot of curriculum samples. I tend to choose what we want to study for the year, then choose our priorities within that, decide how much time we want to spend on it and that will all dictate how many/which books we actually use. 

Thanks so much. How’s the little one doing? How’s your recovery going?

I think I may just by the book and see what I think. Have you used it for high school ages? That’s what I’m curious about. I know it will work great for the younger set, but I’m wondering if it will work well through the years.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Elizabeth86 said:

Thanks so much. How’s the little one doing? How’s your recovery going?

I think I may just by the book and see what I think. Have you used it for high school ages? That’s what I’m curious about. I know it will work great for the younger set, but I’m wondering if it will work well through the years.

He's beautiful! Just turned 1 month old. Recovering quite well, thank you 🙂. How are you feeling? 

Yes there's heaps of options for high school levels. In fact, usually the lists for grades 7-9 & 10-12 are longer than the younger lists. For my highschoolers, I have them work through a spine/textbook and then supplement with books like the ones on the list.

For example, the ancient rome section lists 16 books for grades 1-3, and 80+ books for grades 10-12.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/5/2022 at 8:48 PM, LMD said:

He's beautiful! Just turned 1 month old. Recovering quite well, thank you 🙂. How are you feeling? 

Yes there's heaps of options for high school levels. In fact, usually the lists for grades 7-9 & 10-12 are longer than the younger lists. For my highschoolers, I have them work through a spine/textbook and then supplement with books like the ones on the list.

For example, the ancient rome section lists 16 books for grades 1-3, and 80+ books for grades 10-12.

I forgot to respond, but I’m doing ok. Just counting down the days. 52 days until my due date.

• Like 1

The All Through the Ages book is amazing.  It has commentary throughout that I really enjoyed.  With you posting this, it has made me want to look again at adding it to my middles basket I am doing.  Shopping my bookshelf and borrowing books from the library for each!  The series is fantastic.  We add in the Famous Men series as well.

Blessings,

Brenda

P.S. Congratulations 🎉 to all of soon to be and new mamas in the thread.

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Lovinglife123 said:

Does anyone use the whole thing as a package or just all through the ages?  I like what I see so far of all through the ages.

I used it years ago with my oldest son, and found the books to be interesting.  I did not like reading them aloud however.  Not sure why really, but he loved the books and any books I added.  He was a precocious reader so this worked well for us.  Hope this helps!

I am planning on doing this exactly again with my middles along with Bible memory for the next little bit.  Hoping they enjoy the books as well.

Blessings,

Brenda

• Like 1

I am reading the Story of the Greeks aloud now as part of Simply Charlotte Mason's Joshua-malachi and ancient Greece study. My kids are 11, 9, 6, and younger. The 3 older listen and the 2 oldest really do like it. It is almost over the 6 yr olds head especially if listening conditions are not ideal. It has just the right amount of mythology and not too much violence. They do like the little cousin book better but who doesn't enjoy historical fiction?

Incedently,  I really like the SCM history guides. They can be done on their own or added on to if you want more! Not too hard for a busy time and keep us all together. Add to them in a less busy season!

• Like 1

@countrymum I have story of the ancients and appreciate how it’s not too violent.  A while back I researched SCM and I was a little frustrated with ancients taking 3 years.  Are you doing it that way? Mine are 11, 9, 9, 6, 3… same ages almost 😂congratulations on new baby coming.  I would love 1 more.  I’m mainly targeting the 3 older ones.

Edited by Lovinglife123
  • Like 1

@Lovinglife123 

Yes ancients for 3 yrs but since the readings are liteish (appropriately so imho;) I am having my kids independently read landmark books or Notgrass texts spread over the 3 ancient years to get that CM extra history strand and mostly some more exposure to American history. We are dropping the American strand though for Middle ages (and the last 2). I absolutely LOVE the middle ages unit! We've done it 1x already. I didn't like ancients for 3 yrs either until I added in 2-3 days a week of American readings for my kids. Now I am really enjoying it and the kids seem to be too...especially this Bible readings. 

I have not found another preplanned curriculum where I like all the books. Also I appreciate the geography. The kids do not like the map drill, but I think they are learning and the literature choices are good. I mostly have bought them all.

Edited by countrymum
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Lovinglife123 said:

@countrymum I have story of the ancients and appreciate how it’s not too violent.  A while back I researched SCM and I was a little frustrated with ancients taking 3 years.  Are you doing it that way? Mine are 11, 9, 9, 6, 3… same ages almost 😂congratulations on new baby coming.  I would love 1 more.  I’m mainly targeting the 3 older ones.

I just answered this above. I can't figure out how to tag you...

Edited by countrymum

The key for me making the American simultaneously with ancients work is to have the kids do it independently! I tried reading it aloud to the 1st grader and it didn't happen....now his 4th grade sister is reading Star Spangled Story aloud to him. It is very different than the books she will read with SCM early America in a few years and the 2 of them love doing the projects together. They are reading book 1 this year and book 2 during Rome next year. They do it like 2 days a week. My older boy does not love text books so I have various books scheduled for him to re as d on his own and he tells me about them sometimes. I do not count it as our "main"  history and am aiming just for exposure. The kids do choose to put it in their book of centuries pretty often though. They have 2 required entries per week (just the older 2) and do not like to put in the Ancient Greek stuff as much as American History or Bible.....so far the Greeks are not their heroes;) I really like the variety. 

Last year I was not as organized and just the older 2 read a lot about the pilgrims mostly.

I really want history to become something they think is interesting and will continue to read about as they become adults. So Egypt, Greece and Rome and the Bible are foundational, but I do not expect love for history to come from the 1st 3....I did not love learning about these until I was in college. I do want a foundation though.  American History is really more *fun* at least for these children so the love is growing there.

It isn't like they dislike reading about Greece, but they get frustrated by the idolatry and cultures like Sparta that are so different from their own.  I think they will appreciate some of Paul's letters more next year with this bit of background though.

I really like the Ancient Egypt spine that Simply Charlotte Mason uses. It includes some fascinating stuff about ancient China and India that made for some great side trips last year.

14 hours ago, Lovinglife123 said:

Wow I NEVER thought to do American simultaneously during the 3 year ancient study. That sounds great!! 

We ran a US history thread concurrently with world history. It took us 4 years. We went through Hakim's 10 volume History US (which I don't love, but that's another story), 2-3 chapters / week x 4 years.  Most chapters are so short, it wasn't difficult. It provided my kids with a great overview of US history. They had the scaffolding necessary to enjoy all the outside Us history reading that they did on their own, and provided great context for field trips, etc.  My kids read the chapters on their own, then gave me a verbal narration.