Menu

Exploring Creation with Mathematics Apologia

WhitneyS

I am using the first grade. Basically you do a game, a worksheet, and then sometimes an extra paper learning tool out of the back of the book, example-cut out matching numbers to words card, or using 10 with 1,2,3,4,5, folded over the zero side to demonstrate how teens are just added onto 10.

My child sometimes picks it up but sometimes doesn’t get it. I like it overall. The hardest part is gathering all the things for the craft/game and then actually doing it. And then getting the children to not get side tracked and want to keep playing- sometimes better to do this part last. 

I would say if you want a cheaper option with less extensive manipulative list of things you have to buy to complete the craft/game then math with confidence seems to be similar but more foundational. I may switch to math with confidence for 2nd grade depending how much my child retains of 1st grade at the end of the year. I plan to purchase math facts that stick by the same author as MWC and add it into apologia for now. I don’t have any negatives about the apologia just gathering all the game/craft supplies and having them ready for each lesson every day can be a burden. 

• Like 2

It is a relatively new-ish program from a company with ethics issues, so I don't think there would be many reviews yet.

FWIW, I found it easiest to narrow down my math options by imagining a rough idea of what a lesson/week would look like, and then searching for programs that matched that in some form.  There were several that ranged from free to $$$, which then let me hone down the details by comparing samples of each one.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, SittingPretty said:

I am using the first grade. Basically you do a game, a worksheet, and then sometimes an extra paper learning tool out of the back of the book, example-cut out matching numbers to words card, or using 10 with 1,2,3,4,5, folded over the zero side to demonstrate how teens are just added onto 10.

My child sometimes picks it up but sometimes doesn’t get it. I like it overall. The hardest part is gathering all the things for the craft/game and then actually doing it. And then getting the children to not get side tracked and want to keep playing- sometimes better to do this part last. 

I would say if you want a cheaper option with less extensive manipulative list of things you have to buy to complete the craft/game then math with confidence seems to be similar but more foundational. I may switch to math with confidence for 2nd grade depending how much my child retains of 1st grade at the end of the year. I plan to purchase math facts that stick by the same author as MWC and add it into apologia for now. I don’t have any negatives about the apologia just gathering all the game/craft supplies and having them ready for each lesson every day can be a burden. 

Thank you 🥰

6 hours ago, HomeAgain said:

It is a relatively new-ish program from a company with ethics issues, so I don't think there would be many reviews yet.

FWIW, I found it easiest to narrow down my math options by imagining a rough idea of what a lesson/week would look like, and then searching for programs that matched that in some form.  There were several that ranged from free to $$$, which then let me hone down the details by comparing samples of each one.

Thank you for the advice. I am trying to find a math that appeals to my oldest and having looked at many, she likes the layout of this one best. Colorful but not distracting, not an overload of information on each page, no extra cutesy pictures. 

Can you point me towards what you are referencing about Apologia? I did some forum searches and online searches after reading your post, but I’m coming up empty. I’m probably searching with terms that are too vague. 

14 hours ago, WhitneyS said:

Can you point me towards what you are referencing about Apologia? I did some forum searches and online searches after reading your post, but I’m coming up empty. I’m probably searching with terms that are too vague. 

This happened about 10 years ago, maybe 11, but they had a blog.  They decided to put out a post detailing all the reasons Mormons weren't Christians (but should buy their products anyway!).  The problem was, all their reference material was not doctrine or a part of the LDS church.  When Apologia was called out for
1. using poor sources
2. not checking their facts
3. putting out such a post anyway (seriously, wtf?)
4. giving themselves authority in this department

Apologia doubled down with a second post.  They referenced the original and stood by it.  This all created a pretty big stir and made people realize even more about their company.

You will be giving your money to a company that doesn't like to research properly, gives themselves authority where they shouldn't have any, and justifies it all because they have an end goal of taking your money.  If these are goals you support, then you should by all means buy their products.  If not, then you're best off with a reputable math company that specializes in their subject and doesn't deviate.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

19 hours ago, WhitneyS said:

Thank you for the advice. I am trying to find a math that appeals to my oldest and having looked at many, she likes the layout of this one best. Colorful but not distracting, not an overload of information on each page, no extra cutesy pictures. 

Have you looked at Math with Confidence and Math Mammoth? Both are written by people with a strong background in math education and are pretty open-and-go for the parent.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, maize said:

Have you looked at Math with Confidence and Math Mammoth? Both are written by people with a strong background in math education and are pretty open-and-go for the parent.

I really love the look of Math with Confidence, as does my daughter, but she is too old for the current program. 

My daughter does not like the sample of Math Mammoth. We are struggling to find common ground on curriculum, and I am committed to allowing her a say as we choose what to do, so I will not be overruling her right now.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I’m in the same boat as you—my 1st grader uses MWC and I LOVE it!  My 3rd grader has toiled through Singapore Dimensions and Primary Math (mom didn’t get it enough to be able to teach it!), Math Mammoth (UGH!!), and now we’re trying Rightstart D, because it made me so sad to see her watching her brother do so many fun activities with MWC, meanwhile she was handed row after row of numbers on a page to solve.  So we’re trying the abacus and the games with RS…but I’m finding she’s not getting her multiplication facts very quickly.  And RS is introducing order of operations already, and factors and so on and she hasn’t even memorized her multiplication tables.  People in a Facebook group for MWC have recommended over and over Apologia as a good option for kids too old for the latest MWC release.  So I’m looking at it for next year, despite the fact that people on these boards have told me I mustn’t switch up my children’s math curriculum after like 2nd grade…???

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AngelaR said:

People in a Facebook group for MWC have recommended over and over Apologia as a good option for kids too old for the latest MWC release

Hearing that it’s being recommended for kiddos who are too old for MWC is really wonderful to hear. 

As for not switching math after 2nd grade, I am sure there are many reasons why that’s the ideal situation. However, one of the beautiful things about homeschooling is that you can choose for your own family what is best. If you had a curriculum that was working well for you, I would say stick it out! Don’t look for the next shiny thing. However, if what you are doing isn’t working I don’t think it’s wrong to look for another option. 

So I’m looking at it for next year, despite the fact that people on these boards have told me I mustn’t switch up my children’s math curriculum after like 2nd grade…???

It is totally fine to switch.

The best curriculum for an individual child is often whatever gets done regularly, and the scope and sequence for most elementary math programs is pretty similar. If you switch between programs that are teaching very different things for the same grade levels, you need to pay attention and make sure there won't be significant gaps. 90% of the time though switching from one program to another is not an issue --just make sure you are putting regular time in to doing math.

• Thanks 1

So I’m looking at it for next year, despite the fact that people on these boards have told me I mustn’t switch up my children’s math curriculum after like 2nd grade…???

I will say, my youngest used a couple of different programs.  We used MEP, Right Start, Gattegno, and finally finished with Math U See.

The thing is, though, is that whatever we used, we made sure to bring in other elements.  It's absolutely fine to not do a worksheet and practice a concept a different way, touching back through the program so that you keep your course steady but bring in different aspects.  We have a large number of supplements we bring in.  Board games, RS card games, books, paper sloyd, math projects..  I get an email every week from Math Geek Mama, which usually offers 1-3 supplements at different levels for a quick bit of fun.  Anna's Math Page on Facebook and EducationUnboxed are two others that do videos to show different ways to explain things.

3 hours ago, AngelaR said:

I’m in the same boat as you—my 1st grader uses MWC and I LOVE it!  My 3rd grader has toiled through Singapore Dimensions and Primary Math (mom didn’t get it enough to be able to teach it!), Math Mammoth (UGH!!), and now we’re trying Rightstart D, because it made me so sad to see her watching her brother do so many fun activities with MWC, meanwhile she was handed row after row of numbers on a page to solve.  So we’re trying the abacus and the games with RS…but I’m finding she’s not getting her multiplication facts very quickly.  And RS is introducing order of operations already, and factors and so on and she hasn’t even memorized her multiplication tables.  People in a Facebook group for MWC have recommended over and over Apologia as a good option for kids too old for the latest MWC release.  So I’m looking at it for next year, despite the fact that people on these boards have told me I mustn’t switch up my children’s math curriculum after like 2nd grade…???

Maybe supplement Rightstart(which seems to be working fine) with multiplication facts that stick from Kate Snow?

Or even xtra math/ flash cards.  Facts just need to be practiced regardless the curriculum.  It really is all math.  We love math mammoth, it is a lot of worksheets but they get through it quickly and move on to other subjects.  We do play board games after school that aren’t part of a curriculum 😉.  The beauty of math mammoth is they can get most of it done without waiting for you.  If it’s a tricky topic, they can do a different chapter that’s easier for them instead while things “marinate”.

Edited by Lovinglife123

I enjoy apologia science texts, and have no ethical issues with using it.  The writers of the blog I doubt have much to do with writing of curriculum.  I’m sure there are shady folks working for other companies that no one knows about.

1 minute ago, Lovinglife123 said:

I enjoy apologia science texts, and have no ethical issues with using it.  The writers of the blog I doubt have much to do with writing of curriculum.  I’m sure there are shady folks working for other companies that no one knows about.

I hate reading this stuff about various curriculum providers or anything to do with them.  However, you are absolutely correct! 

• 1 month later...

My kindergartener and 1st grader just completed Apologia Math 1 and 2.  It was great for teaching them facts, but lacked significantly in other standards for the 1st and 2nd grade level. They were able to move through it more quickly than one school year since it’s just over 100 lessons. 

The strengths of this program (at these levels) are that it does an excellent job of teaching place value, math facts, and addition and subtraction with 2 and 3 digit numbers both with and without regrouping.  Most lessons use manipulatives to teach these concepts thoroughly. 

However there are also some shortcomings in the program, which make supplementation necessary. There is barely any skip counting, no counting money until second grade, no work with dates or calendars, and very little time is spent on counting fluency. I had to supplement in these areas to meet 1st and 2nd grade level standards.  It is a mastery program, but I found that I needed to add a spiral review daily as “homework”, so my children could practice with the concepts not included in the program that are standard for the grade levels. I also like to include a spiral review so they still get some practice of concepts they have already completed.  

I would recommend this program if you don’t mind supplementing it. There will be a significant amount of supplementing to keep up with all the topics included in most state standards for these levels. I’m guessing it will be the same with the other levels of Apologia math. Hopefully this helps!

On 12/26/2022 at 2:12 PM, homemommy83 said:

Another option not spoken often is Modern Curriculum Press series.  Our family loves it and one can test quickly through the program to where they actually need teaching due to the mastery/ topic based set up.  This is excellent for filling in gaps for students as well.

Blessings,

Brenda

Do you mean using the end of chapter tests as "do you need this" tests?

14 hours ago, Rebekah said:

counting fluency

What's that?

Edited by Malam

11 hours ago, Malam said:

Do you mean using the end of chapter tests as "do you need this" tests?

What's that?

What I meant by “counting fluency” is being able to easily count and skip count to the point where it is quick and automatic. There is very little practice with counting and skip counting in this curriculum, although it is important at this level. First graders need to practice counting by 2s, 5’s, and 10’s at a minimum. This helps with things like counting coins, identifying even and odd numbers, and solving problems mentally.