Menu

Need gift advice - 8yo girl

skimomma

Gifting is not my love language.....

My niece is turning 8 in a few weeks and I am trying to come up with a super cool gift.  She is into writing and illustrating her own books.  Anyone know of a fun gift that would work into that theme?  She also like instructional books about drawing, Minecraft, and Pikachu.  I have already recently gifted her higher end colored pencils, markers, paints, brushes, clay, nice paper, and other art supplies. Help!

Also, while we are at it, I am looking for generally whatever the coolest things ever would be for a 4.5yo girl and boy.  Because Christmas is coming!  Sigh.

*I am posting and running.  Not sure how quickly I will be back.  So forgive delay in responses!

What about a Pokemon Origami book? Really cute and combines the art/Pokemon thing in a new way. My kids are majorly into Pokemon so anything like that would work - a book, a little plushie, some Pokemon themed stationary.

With the 4.5 year olds, are they yours or extended family? I always recommend swings as gifts - they have been the best things ever for my kids, esp the soft swings. One each for each kid. If they're not your kids, then squishmellow toys are still really popular.

Well, for the 4 year olds I always recommend a nice book. Something by Mo Willems is always a good bet for that age range. Wrap it up neatly, stick a lollypop under the bow. But if for some reason you don't want to do a book - or don't want to *only* do a book - then I suggest asking the parents what the kids are interested in.

4.5 year old little girl here loves My Little Pony. Really she loves any little figurines with some building or furniture that she can make stories with. Schleich sets are really good if she's into animals and farms, they are just pricey for mom (me) to fully get behind. With her own $30, DD4 got one of those animatronic pets that make noise when you feed, squeeze or pet it. She was also interested in Barbies and dollhouses some of those were more than she could afford. 

My little boy (he's now 6) loves anything that transforms, cars into robots/dinos/dragon/dino-robots (transformers), balls into dino/dragon/robot (Bakugan?), cars into planes, cars into other cars; at 4.5 it doesn't have to be official brand licensed stuff just the fact that it's transforms from one cool thing to another. Anything with wheels and/or wings preferably with some sort of construction or destruction attachment (teeth, claws, wrecking ball, scoop). Seriously there is a reason shows like transformers, dino-trux, and ninjago were made.

Grandma and Grandpa got a ton of old beanie babies for cheap. Those have also been a hit with both kids.

• Like 1

On 11/5/2022 at 1:41 AM, Emba said:

This might be cooler but I’ve never used it: a book making kit for kids where they write and illustrate and send it off to get a copy printed. The May be other similar products, I just found this first.

Just wanted to say thanks for this link! I’m not the OP, but this is the perfect gift for budding author niece. Sooo excited! I ordered one today, and also the comic book kit for a nephew.

• Like 1