Menu

what would you want in a house?

gardenmom5

Sorry for the confusion — my post about wired Internet was directed to @KungFuPanda’s post to say even if her spouse isn’t using it, some employers expect it. 
I think it’s ideal to have as an option. My dad uses it strictly because of health concerns. He doesn’t like being surrounded by wifi and turns off his modem every night.

Ugh lugging groceries upstairs would be a con for some people. Not so much young men maybe but more so families with large grocery hauls. You can’t do anything about that, though. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, heartlikealion said:

Ugh lugging groceries upstairs would be a con for some people. Not so much young men maybe but more so families with large grocery hauls. You can’t do anything about that, though. 

Split entries, and tri-levels are extremely common here because of the terrain.  I grew up in a one-story with a basement, so there was no lugging groceries upstairs (the laundry was lugged to/from the basement) and my grandparents houses were either garage in basement/carry groceries up full flight of stairs - or garage detached and carry groceries across the backyard and up full flight of outdoor stairs.   I've lived in my current house for so long as an adult, I don't even give it a second thought.    

a tri-level, you're only going up half a flight of stairs to get to the kitchen from the garage. - and anyone coming to your door - has to go up at least as many stairs to get to your door.  (so it's half a flight (up or down) from the main level - to get to the bedrooms/or to get to the garage.) 

I'm sure there are people who eliminate a split entry or a trilevel from their house search - but that will seriously reduce how many houses are available for them to look at.  That's a reflection on our topography (hills are the rule), and many houses have some version of that floor plan.   Ranch houses at the same price point tend to be smaller.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, gardenmom5 said:

Split entries, and tri-levels are extremely common here because of the terrain.  I grew up in a one-story with a basement, so there was no lugging groceries upstairs (the laundry was lugged to/from the basement) and my grandparents houses were either garage in basement/carry groceries up full flight of stairs - or garage detached and carry groceries across the backyard and up full flight of outdoor stairs.   I've lived in my current house for so long as an adult, I don't even give it a second thought.    

a tri-level, you're only going up half a flight of stairs to get to the kitchen from the garage. - and anyone coming to your door - has to go up at least as many stairs to get to your door.  (so it's half a flight (up or down) from the main level - to get to the bedrooms/or to get to the garage.) 

I'm sure there are people who eliminate a split entry or a trilevel from their house search - but that will seriously reduce how many houses are available for them to look at.  That's a reflection on our topography (hills are the rule), and many houses have some version of that floor plan.   Ranch houses at the same price point tend to be smaller.

I have relatives in Seattle with a tri-level. I think it's crazy but if it's common people get used to it I'm sure.