Menu

Becoming a better everyday writer

KathyBC

I scrolled by a letter from Faulkner the other day, and marveled.

I leave dangling participles recklessly in my wake. Any suggestions on how to craft better day-to-day missives?
Would sentence diagramming, something our homeschool never got to, help? Is there a free app for that? 

I thank you for your friendly letters. You sure know how to cheer up a really old geezer (84) in his sunset years. I don’t make public appearances any more because I now resemble nothing so much as an iguana.

What I had to say to you, moreover, would not take long, to wit: Practice any art, music, singing, dancing, acting, drawing, painting, sculpting, poetry, fiction, essays, reportage, no matter how well or badly, not to get money and fame, but to experience becoming, to find out what’s inside you, to make your soul grow.

• Like 1

A few thoughts.

Practice makes perfect. Start by writing more. If you really want to practice, join a writing group or take a class. Writing centers abound and some of them may even have letter writing classes. But most of them will have memoir or creative nonfiction.

Language evolves. The writing expectations for things like internet posts, emails, etc. are different now. And that's okay. Dangling participles matter less than understandable voice and prose for the vast majority of writing most people have to do now.

Formal grammar doesn't typically translate to better writing style. So I wouldn't take that approach.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The best writing advice I ever got was, "write like you're hanging clothes on the backyard clothesline and talking over the fence to your neighbor at the same time."

It was my supervisor who told me that when I was 22 or 23. I soon got a new job and never thanked her. So last year I looked her up and she'd become a nurse.

And she died in her 60s from cancer.

It still frustrates me that I didn't reach out to her a lot sooner.

• Like 3