Menu

6th Grade Engineering?

PIE!

I've been posting lots of questions to get a last-minute 6th grade year set up. Thanks for all the responses so far.

DD and I talked about what science she wants to learn this year. After she explained all sorts of things she's interested in, it basically all boils down to getting into some real (yet age-appropriate) engineering. My rough plan is to go through "The New Way Things Work" by David Macaulay with her and have her go off on all sorts of rabbit trails based on what we read about. Once we're through that, probably go through the Snap Circuits curriculum, and maybe some of the Lego technic things if she's interested. I did something similar with a younger child once and it worked well. We lived near a better library system at the time though, so I'll need to do a little planning ahead for books to help with the rabbit trails.

But are there any good engineering-type science curriculums I should look into? It'd be nice to have open-and-go science-in-a-box if we could get something rigorous enough. Either a full curriculum or just supplemental materials would be welcome. I'd love for her to get to sink her teeth into something challenging, but still age-appropriate for a bright 6th grader. 

Thanks.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, HomeAgain said:

You might like Exploration Education.  Snap Circuits, she might go through quickly, but I want to say 4H has supplemental style curriculum you should look at.

Thanks! Exploration Education does look like a good possible option. Have you done many of its levels? I worry that the Standard (4th-6th grade) Level might be a little too slow for her, if it's made for 4th graders to use as well. But she doesn't have a strong background in physics, so she'd probably need to start there, right? Does the Advanced (7th-10th grade) Level require a lot of the background foundational knowledge of the Standard Level? Is it the sort of program where if she were capable she could go through the Standard Level quickly, then move along and do the Advanced Level in the same year? Or am I underestimating the Standard Level, and it'd be a great, rigorous program for an advanced 6th grader all on its own?

I had no idea 4H made educational materials. Those look like fun! Thanks for pointing me to them. 🙂

Edited by PIE!

Two physics/engineering real-life app games that are really cool:
World of Goo
Kerbal Space Program

Some engineering hands-on:
- PBS Zoom Engineering Challenges
- 4-H Junk Drawer Robotics -- kit & curriculum unit
- Kelvin Educational -- kits
- Gonzo Gizmos: Projects & Devices to Channel Your Inner Geek -- book of project ideas
- Backyard Ballistics -- book of engineering projectile devices

- watch David Macauley's Building Big series + use free pdf of the activity guide - project challenges in bridges, domes, etc.
- Makerspace STEM Challenge
 -- downloadable project challenge cards
- Raspberry Pi -- electronic projects to engineer

- Make, Do -- website of tons of fun things to make and do
- Tinker Crate (ages 9-14) or Eureka Crate (ages 12+) -- Kiwi co. kits with all the parts for engineering a different project each month

List of Engineering Skills:
- IXL Science Standards: Engineering Skills -- list by grade level -- can use this to springboard into looking for support resources for these skills

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Lori D. said:

Two physics/engineering real-life app games that are really cool:
World of Goo
Kerbal Space Program

Some engineering hands-on:
- PBS Zoom Engineering Challenges
- 4-H Junk Drawer Robotics -- kit & curriculum unit
- Kelvin Educational -- kits
- Gonzo Gizmos: Projects & Devices to Channel Your Inner Geek -- book of project ideas
- Backyard Ballistics -- book of engineering projectile devices

- watch David Macauley's Building Big series + use free pdf of the activity guide - project challenges in bridges, domes, etc.
- Makerspace STEM Challenge
 -- downloadable project challenge cards
- Raspberry Pi -- electronic projects to engineer

- Make, Do -- website of tons of fun things to make and do
- Tinker Crate (ages 9-14) or Eureka Crate (ages 12+) -- Kiwi co. kits with all the parts for engineering a different project each month

List of Engineering Skills:
- IXL Science Standards: Engineering Skills -- list by grade level -- can use this to springboard into looking for support resources for these skills

Thanks! So many great options! We'll have fun exploring these together. 🙂

• Like 1

19 hours ago, PIE! said:

Thanks! Exploration Education does look like a good possible option. Have you done many of its levels? I worry that the Standard (4th-6th grade) Level might be a little too slow for her, if it's made for 4th graders to use as well. But she doesn't have a strong background in physics, so she'd probably need to start there, right? Does the Advanced (7th-10th grade) Level require a lot of the background foundational knowledge of the Standard Level? Is it the sort of program where if she were capable she could go through the Standard Level quickly, then move along and do the Advanced Level in the same year? Or am I underestimating the Standard Level, and it'd be a great, rigorous program for an advanced 6th grader all on its own?

I had no idea 4H made educational materials. Those look like fun! Thanks for pointing me to them. 🙂

Standard is three lessons a week (total of 108 lessons). Advanced is the same three lesson plus two more in depth lessons per week (total 180 lessons).

• Like 2