heartlikealion

New oven smell  

7 members have voted

1. 1. New oven - what to do. Still smells after "burning off" protocol

• Just bake and use food
    • Wash oven with soapy water
    • Preheat and run oven a few more times with no contents
    • Other

I heated the new oven to 500 degrees for an hour the other day. I opened windows, ran the exhaust fan and another fan in the kitchen while I sat outside. I have also ran the oven empty once or twice briefly.

Tonight I am trying to bake cookies for church but there's still a lingering smell. One site says to wash the oven. Blech stop giving me more work. It also said to toss the first batch of food (I'm not sure why you wouldn't jsut run it empty?). Well I did toss the first batch of cookies and when I opened it I could still smell a slight odor. I've read conflicting things on if this odor should be alarming or not. You know, "it's toxic" vs. "its' not dangerous unless you burned plastic like zip ties that came with it." 

Just don't want to feed people poison cookies. Full disclosure I did try one before I tossed them lol I could not detect an off flavor. If you don't see me again well now you have a theory of what happened. 

• Like 1

I just moved into a new build with two new ovens.  Both smelled funny the first few times.  I was told to heat up to 400 and let it run for a half hour or so, which I did, but it still smelled weird the first several times after.  I wouldn't worry about food baked in it.  The food we've made has tasted normal.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Katy said:

It’s probably fine, but if the smell lingers after 5 uses, give the landlord a heads up. It’s possible that smell can come from wires in the outlet or the wall not being properly installed for that voltage. 

When he was over the other day I did inquire about the wires. To me they looked sorta exposed but he said they were fine. I will definitely keep an eye out.  

Not using the oven was driving me nuts. I bake chicken one or two times a week but boiled instead. I hope it gets better. 

I wiped down the inside with a wet microfiber cloth today. I can still smell a little. My landlord stopped by for an unrelated reason and couldn’t smell it. I think I pick up smells more than others. I told him about the cookies I had set aside for he and his wife and said he could eat or toss lol