Menu

What else might have symptoms like hypothyroid?

MamaSprout

Dd 17 has one dx autoimmune disease that is well managed (celiac).

She has new symptoms that look a lot like thyroid problems: fatigue, brain fog, focus issues, weight loss and clumsiness. Her thyroid numbers are perfect. Her vitamin / iron levels are normal. 

I'm not sure what else to explore. The NP is pretty good about checking whatever we ask, but I'm just not sure what it could be. She has an appointment early next week.

My mom is the ADHD poster child. Could it be something like that?

She starts are really rigorous academic program in 3 weeks. I don't want her to go in with health issues.

I have multiple autoimmune disorders, but nothing stands out to have checked. Thoughts? 

1 minute ago, MamaSprout said:

Dd 17 has one dx autoimmune disease that is well managed (celiac).

She has new symptoms that look a lot like thyroid problems: fatigue, brain fog, focus issues, weight loss and clumsiness. Her thyroid numbers are perfect. Her vitamin / iron levels are normal. 

I'm not sure what else to explore. The NP is pretty good about checking whatever we ask, but I'm just not sure what it could be. She has an appointment early next week.

My mom is the ADHD poster child. Could it be something like that?

She starts are really rigorous academic program in 3 weeks. I don't want her to go in with health issues.

I have multiple autoimmune disorders, but nothing stands out to have checked. Thoughts? 

Is it long covid by chance?

Also have her b12 checked.  If it is low or even kinda low have her add in the mentholated form. 

• Like 3

Just now, busymama7 said:

Is it long covid by chance?

Also have her b12 checked.  If it is low or even kinda low have her add in the mentholated form. 

I thought of long Covid, but it doesn't quite fit.

Good thought on the B12. That's one that can be a problem for Celiacs.

My first thought was Lyme and co-infections. Use an excellent lab for blood work — not Quest or Labcorp. Igenex does the best work, IME, and you’ll want to draw the blood early in the week so it doesn’t sit over a weekend. I would want Lyme, Babesiosis, and Bartonella panels at a minimum.

On the B-12, if that’s needed, I got the best results from using a compounding pharmacy and doing injections. Ouch.

My other, perhaps less likely, thought is that those symptoms sound a lot like adrenal issues. 

But, really, Lyme and co-infections. The clumsiness in particular reminds me of my kid when he had bartonella. The clumsiness was notable! Any chance she has stretch marks? The bartonella rash can sometimes be mistaken for stretch marks on fast growing teens. Not everyone gets them, but some do.

Edited by Spryte
  • Like 1