Menu

Saxon Algebra Teaching videos

Dianthus

I need to make some time in my schedule so would like to get a teaching video for dd 12 as she starts Saxon Algebra I this fall. Any recommendations? A friend said her dd did not like the Art Reid videos so I'm looking for something different. I'd prefer pre-recorded due to cost.

It’s been a long time since I’ve used Saxon, but I’ve tried Mastering Algebra with Art Reed, DIVE, and Saxon Teacher. Our fave was Saxon Teacher which we used on CD, but only seems to be available digitally now. It’s less expensive than buying the CDs tho. It teaches each lesson on a white board. What I love is that it works out every single problem, so if you check your work and got any wrong, you can just click on that single problem and watch the video work it out for you. It also shows every test problem step-by-step. 

https://www.rainbowresource.com/product/045651/Saxon-Math-Homeschool-Algebra-1-Teacher-Digital-License-1-Year-Digital-3rd-Edition.html?

• Thanks 1

My kids have loved the videos from my math assistant. Www.mymathassistant.com The man who runs the site is a homeschooling dad and does a great job. It has has online grading, too. I found the Saxon teacher dvds on eBay because they go through every problem in the book and tests questions. Step by step and it was a huge help! Combined I think I spent $120? Worth every penny!! Rainbow resource has the Saxon teacher video digitally but it is only for 1 year. The dvds are nice because you can reuse them but harder to find now. The dvds also have video lessons but my kids didn’t care for them. 
Nicole the math lady does video lessons. She has sample lessons on YouTube. My kids said her videos were not also easy to follow and not always on the topic of the chapter. 

Edited by Jenkins
  • Thanks 1

The third edition integrates geometry throughout while the 4th edition has separated it out into its own text. This comparison chart will help you see how to account for the geometry credit using the third edition. Most homeschoolers use the third edition.

https://www.rainbowresource.com/pdfs/SaxonMathChart_HighSchool.pdf

Edited by Mona
  • Like 1

On 7/15/2022 at 9:33 PM, Dianthus said:

Any insight on what the "homeschool packet" is?

Student text

Solutions manual

Test book

"Homeschool packet" ???

I see it listed that way on Christianbook Distributors. It looks like the homeschool packet is just the tests and answer key. Keep in mind the answer key is just the answers, not the step by step solutions. They sell one kit with the homeschool packet and the other with the solutions manual. If you get “Saxon Teacher”, they work out all the problems for you, so the answer key would be enough to know you need to watch that problem be solved. If you aren’t getting the program then it would be good to have the solutions manual. The solutions manual is less expensive if you get it with the bundle than if you bought it separately. Lots of choices to make.

• Like 1

I hope that someone currently using this will jump in. “Test forms” could be the numbered grid paper for students to work their problems on. They may have a form for each test included. You can call Rainbow Resource on Monday if no one else answers. They can help you figure it all out.

• Like 1

I think the “homeschool packet” is the collection of test booklet, main book, answers.  They come shrink-wrapped together and I think as a group that is the packet.

Then I think there is a difference between answers and solutions.  One comes with the homeschool packet.  Some people don’t need it and purchase items individually.  

That is my impression.  

• Like 1