Menu

Time Table/Schedule not working

I am teaching a 6th grader and a Kindergartener this year.  We school year round so we just moved up in grades this week, and my time table is not really working.  

We are doing as follows:

30m Learning Ally Assigned Reading  (Math and reading with Kindergartener) 

15m All about Spelling Level 3 (K plays grudgingly)

30m Math-Teaching Textbooks 5 (K helps make lunch)

30m History Reading-by mom (K grudgingly does room time)

30m Literature Reading-by mom (K is now yelling constantly while in room time)

30m Free choice reading (did not get to this, ran out of focus) (I read books with K)

30m Science reading/Activity (did not get to this, ran out of focus) (K participates) 

We are also doing copy work and working through Writing with Ease starting at level 1, as my 11yo has a writing/reading disability, and ADHD. 

I would love everyone's thoughts on how we could structure this, and if it sounds like too much.  

Edited by Jussiemariee

You have a lot of K alone time back to back.  Try switching in things that the K'er participates in, in between some individual play time. 

Also - I found that when I ran out of time and focus, it worked best to switch to a loop schedule.  That means that tomorrow you pick up where you left off - at the free choice reading time in this case and then onto the science reading and activity. . .   That way you don't always run out of time before getting to science or whatever comes at the end of your day. 

• Like 1

I see a lot of reading in your schedule.

I'd honestly sit down and write out your schedule for the week and color code how many activities you are doing, vs. how much reading/writing.  You can always adjust your schedule that way by creating blocks like science where both kids can participate, or having activity ready for the 5yo that is open ended: motor skills, math blocks, art...

Your schedule wouldn't work for us even in 6th because of how reading heavy it is.  There has to be interaction with material beyond a book.

Ok, so after to talking to 11yo we are going to make the following changes to start. 

15m read to self choice (she has more focus first thing in the morning) (I do reading/math with K pt 1)

15m All About Spelling 3 (K has playtime, Maybe structured in some way)

30m Math Teaching Textbooks 5 (I finish math/reading with K and Simple Handwriting)

20m Science Activity/Reading (K participates) 

5-10m Copy Work (K helps make lunch)

30m History Reading/Narration (K quite time, or not)

30m Literature (K quite time, or not)

15-30m Learning Ally Assigned Reading 

This cuts down on reading #s a bit.  It breaks up the K alone time a bit.  It also does not feel like enough for 6th grade.  It does likely cover the lesson plans I have for the week though, and it moves Learning Ally to the afternoon, as it does not take a lot of focus. I was requiring her to follow along in the book for learning ally but I might just allow that to be an audio book time to help with focus. 

Thoughts? 

• Like 1

It's been what feels like 12 million years since my kids were this small (Kindergarten I mean), but I did let them play quietly with legos, unifix cubes, counting bears, pattern blocks, etc. while I read to them.  Or they would color while I read.  Other options include stringing beads, lace cards, etc. You are probably already doing this, but I thought I'd mention it just in case!  

If you aren't anti-computer, you could see if Starfall is still any good (it's been years for us!) I loved watching PBS' Between the Lions too--there might be videos on Youtube. 

Edited by cintinative

Looks good.  BTW - even in high school my kids did not do school all day like they would have at ps.  It wasn't necessary.  (And my eldest just graduated summa cum laude from college so it didn't hurt him.)  Since your sixth grader has ADHD and a writing / reading disability you do need to keep that in mind.  If you really did want to "beef it up a bit" you could add in some more extra curricular hands on stuff of his choice. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Looks good.  BTW - even in high school my kids did not do school all day like they would have at ps.  It wasn't necessary.  (And my eldest just graduated summa cum laude from college so it didn't hurt him.)  Since your sixth grader has ADHD and a writing / reading disability you do need to keep that in mind.  If you really did want to "beef it up a bit" you could add in some more extra curricular hands on stuff of his choice. 

I guess 2.75 hours seems low for middle school.  We do have some Extras coming in the fall, with "Friday School" (co-op school) so that should help. 

5 hours ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Congrats on your son’s excellent graduation! @Jean in Newcastle

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Jussiemariee said:

30m History Reading/Narration (K quite time, or not)

30m Literature (K quite time, or not)

In case this doesn't work. What works well for my Preschooler and Kindergartener is I give them a choice to listen and/or participate or to go play elsewhere by themselves. At this point in the school day it would be a long day for my Kindergartener (I'll cross my fingers though quiet time works out because that would be the best). I usually only get 2-3 hours interrupted with breaks before lunch of sit down schoolwork done with my Kindergartener. Afternoons at best is a fun science or history thing super interactive or a video.

4 hours ago, Clarita said:

In case this doesn't work. What works well for my Preschooler and Kindergartener is I give them a choice to listen and/or participate or to go play elsewhere by themselves. At this point in the school day it would be a long day for my Kindergartener (I'll cross my fingers though quiet time works out because that would be the best). I usually only get 2-3 hours interrupted with breaks before lunch of sit down schoolwork done with my Kindergartener. Afternoons at best is a fun science or history thing super interactive or a video.

I guess I don't understand.  Maybe my 5yo is different than most, but he won't play for more than 5 min by himself, and if I have him sit and listen, he is defiantly not quiet.  Based on the revised schedule we are doing school from 9:30-11 and 11:30 to 1.  (most of that is just my 6th grader, the K is just tagging along)  that does not seem outside the expected amount of time.  I schedule things with the K that look like school, because if he does not have something to do he is loud, distracting or unhappy.  He really only has about 45min of school work in the mix. 

How do people deal with kids who won't let you do school with other kids? 

I had a very busy year this year (6th).  I had my kid, kids I tutored, and my own classes, I so hear you about the 5yo not wanting to be by himself and needing to balance time.

Things that you might consider:

-creating a weekly schedule on paper or online for your 6th grader.  This is a beginning time management skill and a good time to exercise it. It's also a chance for the 6th grader to see the benefit of working ahead.

-working with unit studies.  Having something each child can participate in at their own level to have them work side by side, but not together.

-creating a pretty strict routine for the day so everyone always knows what to expect.  It can be in picture form for the 5yo and put on the fridge or other place where the pictures can be moved to a "done" column.

-alternating subjects each day with the kids.  If you did math yesterday with the 5yo, then today would be an activity for him alone to continue working on the skills he's learning.  If you did an intensive writing lesson with the 6th grader today, tomorrow would be revision while you did a clothespin activity with the 5yo.

-investing in self-correcting activities or open ended ones for the 5yo.  I look at Timberdoodle for inspiration, but shop at the thrift store. When I had a 6yo, 3yo, and a baby in the house, I offered the 3yo simpler activities that were like what the 6yo was doing: chunkier magnetic letters, shape play, Luk books..

-having morning meeting with the kids to go over the day's expectations.

-creating an "independent study" block for the 6th grader.  This is after-lesson time where they can learn whatever they like, but it's still "school".

5 hours ago, Jussiemariee said:

I guess I don't understand.  Maybe my 5yo is different than most, but he won't play for more than 5 min by himself, and if I have him sit and listen, he is defiantly not quiet.  Based on the revised schedule we are doing school from 9:30-11 and 11:30 to 1.  (most of that is just my 6th grader, the K is just tagging along)  that does not seem outside the expected amount of time.  I schedule things with the K that look like school, because if he does not have something to do he is loud, distracting or unhappy.  He really only has about 45min of school work in the mix. 

It does not seem like you are giving your K too much school work. I'm just saying it'd be hard for me to do 30 min history/narration back to back with 30 min literature (which I assume is also more sitting and listening for K). Sitting and listening is hard work for some Kindergarteners. 

Thus I would give him the option of sitting and listening quietly if he "needs" to be in the room with everyone, or he needs to be elsewhere (this portion trains him to play by himself). If your 6th grader can handle the distraction, I'd let the Kindergartener come in and out of being in the room.  I use room but it can be a certain distance where he can't distract the 6th grader. 

When my little ones look at me like they are clueless as to what to do by themselves I give them suggestions. Usually my suggestions are things that tire them out like run around the yard 5 times, throw a ball against a tarp and hit a target 20 times, dig or move some heavy rocks. (especially for my son, outside and physical work). If I had to be indoors I'd suggest things like build a tower (clear across the room from where the blocks are located) when he asks for another activity because the tower is complete I walk over and knock it down and go build a tower back where the blocks go.  I also make sure my suggestions are repeatable without my input so they can put that activity in their repertoire of things they can do completely on their own (get all the equipment and go and do it).

• Like 1

I had one year with K, 2nd, 4th, and 6th. And then a year with K, 3rd and 7th.

I do almost all our reading aloud during meals. At breakfast they watch CNN10 and Brainpop in English and Spanish. At lunch I read history. At snack I read poetry or Spanish or Spanish poetry.  At dinner I read from a novel.

In 6th grade my oldest started reading science to himself (Mr. Q which has short, conversational chapters with comics and lots of pictures) and practicing taking notes. So I read a lower-level science (also Mr. Q, but the elementary level as opposed to the advanced) to the rest of the kids while they colored related coloring pages that I found and printed.

If you are looking for ideas to add to 6th grade, here is what my oldest was doing that year:
- Math
- Logic
- WWS
- Analyzing essays/articles from magazines to find structures being taught in WWS 
- Lantern English writing and literature classes
- Literature (from a book selection of my choosing)
- Free reading (1-2 hours a day)
- Magic Lens
- All About Spelling
- Read science and take notes
- Spanish: reading, writing, grammar, and conversational tutoring
- Piano
- Anki for memorization...tons of memorization of all sorts of things (as seen in this thread)