Menu

need ideas for 6th grade history/social studies

JennyD

I can't decide what to do with my youngest DS (rising 6th grade) for history this year.  Last year everyone did US history and geography-- only oldest got all the way through to the modern era, so youngest DS and I could certainly continue with that, but I'm not feeling the love for yet another year of American history.  

This year the 11th grader will be doing European history and the 9th grader will be doing African/Asian history, so there isn't an obvious plan for my 6th grader.  

Any ideas for a great 6th grade history and/or social studies year?  

4 minutes ago, JennyD said:

A year of biographies is an intriguing idea!

DS loves art, so maybe I should think more about art history. 

Or a year of biographies with Mapping The World By Heart or Mapping The World By Art. Both are intended to teach geography through art.

• Like 1

We did a 3-prong history this year with Human Odyssey, Story of Science, and Outrageous Women of.....  Ds liked them all, and how they wove the stories back and forth.  I added in IEW's theme book for the same time period so he had a little bit more reinforcement.  However, out of everything, the book he gravitated the most to was Hakim's Story of Science series.  He loved it. Over 2 years we did 1.5 of the books and it was a constant thing for him to inform us of this or that.  Human Odyssey provided more context for the science side, and Outrageous Women filled in gaps, but he would have been satisfied with an entire year focused on the history of science.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Green Bean said:

What do you plan to do for 7th on up?

No plans.  The only subjects I even vaguely think through ahead of time are math and high school physics, because the timing of calculus matters for the latter.  Everything else is year by year.

Edited by JennyD

4 hours ago, HomeAgain said:

We did a 3-prong history this year with Human Odyssey, Story of Science, and Outrageous Women of.....  Ds liked them all, and how they wove the stories back and forth.  I added in IEW's theme book for the same time period so he had a little bit more reinforcement.  However, out of everything, the book he gravitated the most to was Hakim's Story of Science series.  He loved it. Over 2 years we did 1.5 of the books and it was a constant thing for him to inform us of this or that.  Human Odyssey provided more context for the science side, and Outrageous Women filled in gaps, but he would have been satisfied with an entire year focused on the history of science.

I have that Hakim set, or at least some pieces of it -- will take a closer look!

1 hour ago, JennyD said:

I have that Hakim set, or at least some pieces of it -- will take a closer look!

I think Build Your Library has a year of science history that uses it.  I'd be curious about what else they're scheduling to reinforce the series.

19 minutes ago, SilverMoon said:

Build Your Library level 8* uses that Hakim set.

Grade 6 is a great one for random rabbit trails! 🙂 My rising 6th and I are building a unit study type year together. His history will be tied to science for prehistory, evolution, and astronomy, as that's what he's excited about. I'll pad some biographies in there too, but as he's already done a pass through world history and a US year, I'm perfectly okay with history being lighter this year. Fwiw we're planning on BYL 7 and 8 for 7th and 8th. 

I was coming back here to say that I found your thread about prehistory earlier today and already printed out your/the other posters' list of resources!  A prehistory year is PERFECT for DS11, esp since we are doing bio for science this year.  Thanks for sharing all your work!

• Like 1