Menu

Is anyone learning Ukrainian?

Laura Corin

One thing to keep in mind - what language.
dh's niece lives in Germany.  She is married to a Ukranian.  When he was in school, he was forced to learn Russian.   His family in still in that area.  Now - those same schools are teaching german.  (not Ukranian).   Though since, the war - who knows what's going on.  Last I heard, they were trying to get his family out.

I took a year of Ukrainian at university in Edmonton, Alberta - which has the largest Ukrainian population outside of the Ukraine. It's a very challenging language to learn. First there's the alphabet with accompanying sounds, then the grammer and vocabulary are both very different than romantic or germanic languages.

I don't have any resources as I studied it back in the 80s. I'd stick to learning/memorizing some basic, practical phrases. Forget the traditional approach to learning a language and simply learn some conversational phrases - especially as you may have access to first language Ukrainian speakers.

After 3 decades, I can still remember some basic pleasantries that I memorized for an oral exam. It's amazing how they can stick in the old brain!

• Thanks 1