Menu

Science

Dianthus

I need science for my ds10 and dd12. I don't just want to send them to read library books, I want something structured. I would welcome a Christian program. I haven't researched in awhile, but need to figure it out in the next 2 weeks. Early years, we liked bookshark, but haven't used for 5-6 yrs. Last year, we hated MP. I've looked at guest Hollow in the past. Both kids would like to do anatomy. I just don't know that I like guest Hollow, I especially don't like having to print things myself or working off a screen. I never felt like we would like Apologia, but maybe I should study it more? Where would we start for these ages?

Any other ideas?

My 5th grade ds and I loved (actually we really did!) Exploring what God has made from Simply charlotte mason. It is just right for that afge and organizes trade (library) books around the days of creation. There are nature study promps, natration questions and some notebook entries. He read it to himself and is not a super strong reader. We didn't get totally finished and so are finishing up human body unit this summer.  He doesn't mind (which is saying alot for this school allergic child;) and is telling me interesting things he has learned. 

She notes where evolution is mentioned in a book with ideas how to deal with it.

• Like 1

What do you like? And it must be Human Anatomy and Physiology and not something else? I noticed that 7th grade BJU Life Science has near half of the year spent on this so that is one option. You could use it for both kids as they are close to that age. But it would have more than the topic you want. For that topic, I think of Apologia Elementary series.

Edited by Janeway

On 6/18/2022 at 8:27 AM, Janeway said:

I noticed that 7th grade BJU Life Science has near half of the year spent on this so that is one option.

https://www.bjupresshomeschool.com/product/279950  unit 6 only. Click for the ™ and scroll through table of contents.

I agree the Apologia elementary text for anatomy, which is written at a higher level and target age than the rest iirc, would do.

https://www.carsondellosa.com/404105-eb--understanding-the-human-body-resource-book-grade-5-12-ebook-404105-eb/

https://www.carsondellosa.com/405030-eb--interactive-science-notebook-the-human-body-resource-book-grade-5-8-ebook-405030-eb/

Just dig around the major workbook publishers and you'll find options. My dd was more Apologia/reading while my ds does great with workbooks. Go figure.

Sometimes it's easier to add some resources from Answers in Genesis (like their Answers for Kids series, which our library has, woo woo!) and using the teaching materials that fit him better. I say that and I have the BJU 6 science looking at me with this theory that we're going to use it... Me and my idealism, the constant battle of ideals and reality.

Edited by PeterPan
  • Like 1