Menu

ds14, sensitive skin, shaving woes.... help!

Any of you been there/done that with your own boys? DS is at that age when a bit of acne pops up, but the biggest problem is the irritation caused by shaving. He needs to shave near daily, compounding the situation.

I would appreciate any wisdom you could share, especially if you can recommend the best razor/shaving method for a young guy. Others in the extended family have some serious scarring from adolescence, and I have to wonder if the shaving issue caused a problem for them that wasn't properly addressed. I know this is part of growing up, but if I can offer him any suggestions or relief, I'd like to try.

My ds has a problem with his neck getting all irritated when he shaves and I bought him Neutrogena Razor Defense. It is advertized to prevent the rash and seems to work really well. They both also used the Neutrogena face wash when they were having problems with breakouts and it seemed to work for them.

My husband used to develop rashes and irritation from shaving. We found that lathering the old fashioned way, with a brush and shaving soap, did a better job of lifting the hairs and getting the lube under them. Also, shaving after a hot shower (though he seems to run through there in about 5 minutes, so...) seems to help.

• 2 weeks later...

I bought the noxema, he really does not enjoy using that.... but he is willing to give it a good effort.

DH initially thought he wasn't quite ready for an electric razor, but we have discussd it again and that may be our next step. The younger kids keep encouraging big bro to grow a beard! Strider, I will actually let him do that if he so chooses, but talk about my baby all grown up, yikes!!! The real question is, is *Mom* ready for that?!!!

Thanks for all your helpful replies.