Menu

todays NY mini crossword - another question

ktgrok

One of the clues was, "Ring around the dozy". The answer is below (spoiler!). I have no idea how the answer and the clue match up - can anyone explain? I got the puzzle cause I was able to do the other words, but even after solving don't get that clue. 

alarm

39 minutes ago, SusanC said:

Is it referring to an alarm clock waking up a sleepy person, but playing on the children's rhyme, "ring around the rosy"?

Yes, the "dozy" is a play on words of someone who is dozing.  Hence:  Ring-->alarm which might be around to wake someone who is dozing. 

2 hours ago, ktgrok said:

One of the clues was, "Ring around the dozy". The answer is below (spoiler!). I have no idea how the answer and the clue match up - can anyone explain? I got the puzzle cause I was able to do the other words, but even after solving don't get that clue. 

alarm

The alarm clock rings to wake up the dozy people. 

It’s an unusual play on words. That’s why it has the question mark at the end of the clue. 

Tip: A question mark at the end of a clue means that it should not be taken at face value. The answer is likely to be a pun, a misdirection, or some other type of wordplay. Ask yourself if the words in the clues might have different meanings from the ones you think they do.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

I just couldn’t see dozy as a person that dozes. Dozer, yes. But I just thought dozy was some pop culture reference. Thankfully I could get all the vertical clues so solved it anyway.

I think it’s plural not singular. The dozy as an adjective for those who are feeling dozy but where the noun is implied not written.

Edited by Ausmumof3

8 hours ago, Kuovonne said:

It’s an unusual play on words. That’s why it has the question mark at the end of the clue. 

Tip: A question mark at the end of a clue means that it should not be taken at face value. The answer is likely to be a pun, a misdirection, or some other type of wordplay. Ask yourself if the words in the clues might have different meanings from the ones you think they do.

Ooh, this is a good explanation. Thanks. 

11 hours ago, Ausmumof3 said:

I think it’s plural not singular. The dozy as an adjective for those who are feeling dozy but where the noun is implied not written.

11 hours ago, Ausmumof3 said:

That makes more sense although never heard of dozy as and adjective either, lol