Menu

Question re: AP registration?

My boys are taking their first AP class with a local provider.  Her syllabus was approved and I was just going to list AP History - Modern on the transcript with name of the local provider.

I was on WTMA today looking at AP US History.  It says this on their website:

Students who wish to list an AP course taken at WTMA on their homeschool transcript must register with the College Board. Once registered, they can indicate that they are using the Well-Trained Mind Academy as their online course provider. If a student wishes to take an AP exam, they must register to sit for the test with a local school. Our AP instructors provide information to their students about how to find a testing site and register for the exam.

My guys are already registered to take the exam at our base school.  

Do I need to register them on the CB site for our local provider to be able to list them on their transcript?

No, not if her syllabus was approved. WTMA doesn't have any approved courses. So if a student wanted to call it AP, then they'd need to get it approved themselves.

FWIW, many colleges count the course the same if you list it as Course with AP, which you can totally do. But then you have to have taken the AP test. I think the approval is worth it if you're doing it anyway.

• Thanks 1

On 4/5/2022 at 5:08 PM, mlktwins said:

Yes.  These would be for 22/23.

If the person teaching the course is not following the College Board CED (Course and Exam description) and approved textbook, then it would be kind of fraudulent to do a course audit and claim an AP course for a course that is not actually an AP course.

If the course IS an actual AP course, following the AP syllabus, the instructor of the course should be registering it in the College Board ledger and issuing a course join code themselves.

Individual parents can indeed get approved through the course audit process to claim an AP course on their student’s transcript— but in doing so, you are certifying that you are covering the CED and providing the student with an approved textbook and any other materials in the agreement for that course (for example, for AP Stats, I have to require my students to have an approved graphing calculator; I don’t know if there are any additional materials required for APUSH).

I would be wary of claiming an AP course on a transcript that could be challenged later because the instructor is not actually teaching an approved AP course. That could cause the student all kinds of headaches.

2 hours ago, NittanyJen said:

If the person teaching the course is not following the College Board CED (Course and Exam description) and approved textbook, then it would be kind of fraudulent to do a course audit and claim an AP course for a course that is not actually an AP course.

If the course IS an actual AP course, following the AP syllabus, the instructor of the course should be registering it in the College Board ledger and issuing a course join code themselves.

Individual parents can indeed get approved through the course audit process to claim an AP course on their student’s transcript— but in doing so, you are certifying that you are covering the CED and providing the student with an approved textbook and any other materials in the agreement for that course (for example, for AP Stats, I have to require my students to have an approved graphing calculator; I don’t know if there are any additional materials required for APUSH).

I would be wary of claiming an AP course on a transcript that could be challenged later because the instructor is not actually teaching an approved AP course. That could cause the student all kinds of headaches.

Thank you.  I was just referring to what I saw on the WTMA regarding claiming a course as AP.  I am aware of the course audit option and covering the work.  Our only AP so far is a CB approved syllabus through our local provider.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mlktwins said:

Thank you.  I was just referring to what I saw on the WTMA regarding claiming a course as AP.  I am aware of the course audit option and covering the work.  Our only AP so far is a CB approved syllabus through our local provider.  

I was not accusing you; I was clarifying for others reading the thread who might have found the instructions on the course description … ambiguous. I never assume the worst!

My hope is that the intention of the instructor is to show students how to access prep materials in case they wish to prepare for the exam; the College Board has upped its game in recent years as far as providing better prep materials. 

My apologies for being unclear in my earlier response!

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, NittanyJen said:

I was not accusing you; I was clarifying for others reading the thread who might have found the instructions on the course description … ambiguous. I never assume the worst!

My hope is that the intention of the instructor is to show students how to access prep materials in case they wish to prepare for the exam; the College Board has upped its game in recent years as far as providing better prep materials. 

My apologies for being unclear in my earlier response!

No worries at all 😊.  You quoted me so I responded 😆.

• Like 1

To be clear it is not fraudulent to use another textbook or create your own curriculum and call it an AP course.  All you need to do is get it approved and then you can make any changes to your plan.  See below:

https://apcentral.collegeboard.org/courses/ap-course-audit/about

Each individual school may develop its own curriculum for courses labeled “AP.” The AP Program does not mandate a specific curriculum for AP courses to follow. Instead, the official Course and Exam Description provides a scope and sequence for new AP teachers to utilize, modify, and adapt, rather than having to build from scratch. We also provide several sample syllabi that teachers can submit to confirm their awareness of course scope. Or teachers can develop an original syllabus or submit a colleague’s already-approved one.

https://apcentral.collegeboard.org/pdf/ap-course-audit-user-guide.pdf  (page 12)

When you click “Select Textbook”, a list of approved textbooks will appear. Scroll through the list and select the textbook that matches the one you use. You can also perform a search by typing the title or author of your textbook in the “Search” field. If you do not use any textbook on the list or use a different edition of listed textbook, you can provide your textbook by “Click here if your textbook is not found in the pre-approved list.

You can also change up your syllabus mid stream without informing the College Board:

https://apcentral.collegeboard.org/courses/ap-course-audit/about

This simply means that the teacher has reviewed the material, is aware of the content and skills colleges expected to see in any course labeled “AP,” and will use the document as the starting point for their own course plan, adapting and modifying it over time as the teacher determines what will best enable his/her students to develop the knowledge and skills required for college credit and placement.