Menu

SAT prep that is similar to the timed mini sessions at Khan Academy?

Anyone know of SAT prep that is similar to the timed mini sessions on Khan Academy? Unfortunately, you can’t use those mini sessions unless you do the whole lesson that proceeds it. But, we’ve narrowed down that my DD mainly needs practice at doing the math problems timed and under pressure, rather than reviewing all the actual math concepts. I think it’s mainly the no-calculator section that goes very fast.

I could go buy her a book and put together little sessions myself, but I thought I’d check just in case there is something online. 

I’m not sure of something online that is timed like Khan, but you could go to the college board website and print just the no-calculator sections of 10 different SAT tests. Maybe you could just time those and do them as practice?? The answers and explanations are available as well. All free!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mmasc said:

I’m not sure of something online that is timed like Khan, but you could go to the college board website and print just the no-calculator sections of 10 different SAT tests. Maybe you could just time those and do them as practice?? The answers and explanations are available as well. All free!

I *think* those are the same as the practice tests on Khan. She’s done about half of those and is saving the last few tests to do as one big, whole-test practice session. I guess there may not be anything more, unless I use old tests.

I would just use old tests 5 or 10 questions at a time, have her time each question, you do the same, compare times, review missed problems. The earlier ones take a bit less time than later ones.

There is also the SAT Orange Book, a good index tied to all tests so you can do more problems like the ones you missed or the ones you take too long with.

https://www.amazon.com/1600-io-SAT-Math-Orange-Book/dp/B08WJZCVD6/ref=sr_1_1?crid=1LAT6F8VVHGVF&keywords=sat+orange+book&qid=1648173442&sprefix=sat+orange+book%2Caps%2C110&sr=8-1

The orange book is 2 volumes, index is in vol 2.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ElizabethB said:

I would just use old tests 5 or 10 questions at a time, have her time each question, you do the same, compare times, review missed problems.

I like this idea—if she goes head-to-head with dad, they’ll get very competitive and have a great time. 

• Like 2

On 3/24/2022 at 4:25 PM, rzberrymom said:

Anyone know of SAT prep that is similar to the timed mini sessions on Khan Academy? Unfortunately, you can’t use those mini sessions unless you do the whole lesson that proceeds it. But, we’ve narrowed down that my DD mainly needs practice at doing the math problems timed and under pressure, rather than reviewing all the actual math concepts. I think it’s mainly the no-calculator section that goes very fast.

I could go buy her a book and put together little sessions myself, but I thought I’d check just in case there is something online. 

UWorld has the best questuons outside the official SAT, and they can be taken in groups of any size you want.

You can also have her do official past tests under exam conditions: https://mcelroytutoring.com/blog-post.php?id=5138

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I would recommend you only use tests published by the College Board (real, authentic SAT tests)

You can download 8 tests from the College Board website. (And, yes, these are the same tests than Khan Academy uses)

And, you can also download official SAT QAS tests from reddit. (18 additional tests from 2016-2022)

You're correct -Section 3, the no-calculator section, is crazy fast. (I can barely get through Section 3, whereas I could do Section 4 twice in the time alloted). 

For my students who want to get high math scores, it really is a numbers (ha!) game. A lot of my best scoring students churn through math tests, focusing on *perfect execution*. Getting used to how the SAT words questions (they are tricky in unexpected ways), and where and why you make mistakes (didn't double check the question, didn't read the last part of the question, etc) are both really important test taking skills (that have nothing to do with understanding math)

I read an article that said that taking the same test over again as SAT prep actually worked better.  I think the brain learns patterns?  Ds's friend increased speed by taking the math sessions multiple times trying to get faster.  I think he did it twice a week for about a month or two. It worked well for him.  His score was over 700 on math.

5 hours ago, freesia said:

I read an article that said that taking the same test over again as SAT prep actually worked better.  I think the brain learns patterns?  Ds's friend increased speed by taking the math sessions multiple times trying to get faster.  I think he did it twice a week for about a month or two. It worked well for him.  His score was over 700 on math.

Wow, this is really helpful since we’ve already blown through most of the real tests. Thank you!!!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, freesia said:

I always make sure my students work on new-to-them material because the SAT never asks the same question twice. But I do think there is a lot of utility in showing them the underlying structure of the problem.  

One of my complaints about the SAT math explanations is that they only talk about that particular problem, and don't extrapolate to the larger category of the problem type. So if the question asked about putting an elephant into a refrigerator, the explanation shows how to do that. But then kids are stumped on the next question about stuffing a giraffe into a box. Even thought it's the same question: how do I put an animal in a container? Keep showing kids the PATTERNS across a variety of questions. 

The SAT only has so many types of problems - but they have an unlimited way to ask about those problems. Remember the old picture frame problem - I want to increase the size of my picture frame by one inch, how much material do I need? You have to remember to account for one inch on EVERY SIDE of the frame. So it's the same problem even though the SAT rarely asks about picture frames but often asks about pools and patios, painting a wall with windows, checkerboard squares, and donut holes. 

• Like 1