Menu

God's design science?

Janeway

I am considering this for fall. I already have a ton of science so not sure if it just is something new for me, or if it might be worth buying for next year. Next year, I will have a 2nd grader (who is advanced at math and science but slightly delayed in reading), 5th grader (advanced in reading, struggles in math), and 7th grader (advanced in math and science and does great at everything).

I already have RS4Kids (all the Focus on books but not all the experiment books but can get the ones I no longer have used), Apologia elementary Botany and Astronomy, and tons and tons of science books and experiment books. 

How is a child advanced in science? Do you mean they have done advanced science? Is that like complex experiments and lots of notetaking? Curious. I have no idea if my kids would be or not. They like science and have sciencey minds I think, very interested in everything and opt for the science books I put in the library basket, but we are a little loose with science. I'm trying to plan something more structured for next year, though.

4 hours ago, Spirea said:

How is a child advanced in science? Do you mean they have done advanced science? Is that like complex experiments and lots of notetaking? Curious. I have no idea if my kids would be or not. They like science and have sciencey minds I think, very interested in everything and opt for the science books I put in the library basket, but we are a little loose with science. I'm trying to plan something more structured for next year, though.

Advanced for his age. So he knows and understands concepts older kids usually study. He also has the skills to follow lab rules and to dictate a basic lab report (he is a lefty and struggling with writing large amounts). These are not incredibly difficult concepts and I wouldn’t expect him to do everything that I would expect of a fifth grader. But he loves science and when following along with his siblings, he has learned all this due to his desire.

Really, it depends on your kids. I thought it looked great when I last looked at it, but when I showed the samples to my Oldest, he said please no. I was surprised but respected his reason. He didn't like that it only covers 3 topics a year. He would enjoy it as reading material, but not for a whole schoolyear's curriculum. Go figure, he still prefers R&S science (a year ahead) for his main curriculum and then reads Apologia books for fun.