Menu

Does anyone cook with Romanesco? I have no experience and am intrigued

Faith-manor

I have been on a quest to get more veggies in us or more to the point, not quantity but variety because we already had the quantity down. I see romanesco on Worst Cooks and Beat Bobby Flay and kind of think, "Hmmm, I wonder if I should try it?" Now to be fair, I can't even buy it locally. Never.ever.seen.it. But, my next trip to Alabama to see the grandsons takes me right past a big Whole Foods so I can buy it there, and I have this idea for a cream romanesco soup  that I would serve with dd's artisan GF bread which is yummy yummy, and maybe a garlic butter for the bread.

But I have no idea what this vegetable tastes like, and whether or not making a soup with it is ambitious for a newbie.

11 minutes ago, Selkie said:

We eat romanesco very often. I use it interchangeably with cauliflower and most often roast it. The other night, I made a Korean bbq cauliflower recipe and used one head of cauliflower and one head of romanesco and it was so delicious.

That sounds really interesting!

17 minutes ago, Selkie said:

We eat romanesco very often. I use it interchangeably with cauliflower and most often roast it. The other night, I made a Korean bbq cauliflower recipe and used one head of cauliflower and one head of romanesco and it was so delicious.

Recipe?

That sounds really yummy.

You can actually cook the pieces (gently) in milk (not water or stock) and when it gets soft puree it with your new stick blender.

Cook sliced garlic along with it.

It looks pretty and tastes good. The purple version is my favorite "easter soup" ingredient.

Bill

• Like 1

I would puree it because my family doesn't like cauliflower texture all that much so making a soup sounds like a good way to introduce it. Mark is the only person who likes roasted cauliflower here. I acute do not like cauliflower at all, but am trying to train my palette for a wider variety. A savory soup sounds nice to me.