Menu

Free or low cost cursive writing material

Download a cursive font like Learning Curve or Learning Curve Dashed and create your own worksheets.  The fonts are free.

I also like Simply Charlotte Mason's Print to Cursive: Proverbs.  You can skip the print pages and just use the cursive ones.  It is a reasonable priced pdf download.

• Thanks 1

This one is free.

Shortcut_to_CursiveAB (donpotter.net)

As a disclaimer, I have no desire to teach my kids cursive unless they want to (I only found the above when I was looking for in general handwriting stuff). If my kids want to learn cursive though I think I would go with this. It's pretty close to Spencerian minus the having to use a flexible nib.

Digital Cursive Workbooks – Logos Calligraphy & Design (logoscalligraphyshop.com)

Here was how I taught my kids - extremely low cost, but slow. Each phase took a while - we did this over the entire 3rd-ish through 4th-ish grade. It cost me 99 cents. 

I bought a wipe off placemat from Walmart ($.99).

1) Kid traced the letters with a dry erase marker. 

1.5) Forgot about this one: Child would find and trace a "G" when I asked. 

2) I would say "B" and child would write a cursive B (upper & lower case). First with the placemat as a guide, then from memory.

2.5) Forgot another one: Child learned to sign name. All handwriting practice required writing their signature 3x until this was mastered (about steps 4-6 depending on child).

3) Child copied pangrams written in cursive. I used a free list of pangrams online that I handwrote out.

4) Child "translated" typed pangrams to cursive.

5) Child wrote pangrams from dictation.

6) Child did copywork (I used an old copy of WWE for passages, but you can use any book you have laying around) - translating typed letters to cursive.

7) Child did dictation in cursive.

Two of my three children have dysgraphia, and this method was s-l-o-w but relatively painless. They all learned enough cursive to get by. They all read it very well, with varying success at writing. 

We do similar to what @historically accurate did, but I use lined paper instead of a wipe off board. First we teach the alphabet.  When that is mastered they do copy work (I just choose a sentence from a book we're reading). After that is going well they make silly sentences from any spelling words they miss (we use a dictation spelling). 

Here's a free one that is a slightly modernized version of the cursive in the McGuffey Readers: https://momdelights.com/index.php/2021/05/12/free-cursive-program/

And a $1 one with even more modern cursive: https://www.etsy.com/listing/1018295643/cursive-handwriting-practice-pdf-ifit?ref=yr_purchases I got this for my leftie who needs a less "frilly" style. I have cursive and lowercase printed out and put in a pocket made to be used with a wet-erase marker.

Edited by wisdomandtreasures