Menu

5-HTP side effects?

Kassia

7 minutes ago, Emba said:

The times I had GI side effects were when I took a larger dose.  

I was planning on taking 100 mg. twice a day.  Do you consider that a smaller dose?

7 minutes ago, Catwoman said:

I was going to try it; I bought it and everything, but then I ended up never taking it. I can’t remember why I didn’t take it, but I do recall that I read some sort of warning that made me worry about it. I wish I could remember what it was!

If you remember, please let me know!  

1 minute ago, freesia said:

I take 100mg. I’ve never had any GI problems. If I take it right before bed, I have crazy dreams. Otherwise, it’s been amazing for me. 

Do you also take melatonin?  I'm taking melatonin but wonder if I should stop taking it if I start with 5-HTP.  

4 minutes ago, Kassia said:

I was planning on taking 100 mg. twice a day.  Do you consider that a smaller dose?

Do you also take melatonin?  I'm taking melatonin but wonder if I should stop taking it if I start with 5-HTP.  

You can take both. My DD takes a supplement before bed that has 5-HTP, melatonin, and L-theanine. She’s also on sertraline for anxiety and OCD. This is under the guidance of her doctor. This is what she’s been taking and it helps Tranquil Sleep

In the past, she took just 5-HPT for anxiety but it didn’t make a noticeable difference. That was before she went on sertraline (Zoloft.) 

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Kassia said:

No, But I do take it with L-theanine. 

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Kassia said:

I think that was what I normally took that gave me no problems. It’s been awhile.

• Thanks 1