Menu

Highschool Literature rich history

What options are there for highschool history that are literature rich?

I know about Beautiful feet but I'm not loving all the books in the older guides but they are more of what I am looking for.

Sonlight of course and bookshark but is there one other than those?

What about following the WTM example? We did for a few of the high school years as written in the high school section. It takes a little planning on your part, but it's not too hard. 

Read a core history text, outline, do a timeline- color coordinated if you're really on the ball, a map book, then tie lit in by choosing books and poetry from the given lists, doing research on context before each lit selection is started and then a summary paper or project at the end of each, using the Well Educated Mind, an encyclopedia, and the World timeline book to help. I really loved the years we did it this way. 

Edited by 2_girls_mommy
  • Like 3

I have been doing US history and American literature with my 10th grader this year.  For the history part, we're following the AP US history framework -- I did Course Audit and he'll take the test in May, but I think that even if you don't want to do AP, the APUSH outline is a nice structure and you can't go wrong with any of the recommended spines.  

For literature, I just compiled a book list that approximately corresponds to the unit breakdown in history and we're reading and discussing the books, with the help of some Great Courses lectures and other resources on specific books.

• Like 2

On 3/6/2022 at 1:36 PM, 2_girls_mommy said:

What about following the WTM example? We did for a few of the high school years as written in the high school section. It takes a little planning on your part, but it's not too hard. 

Read a core history text, outline, do a timeline- color coordinated if you're really on the ball, a map book, then tie lit in by choosing books and poetry from the given lists, doing research on context before each lit selection is started and then a summary paper or project at the end of each, using the Well Educated Mind, an encyclopedia, and the World timeline book to help. I really loved the years we did it this way. 

WTM isn't too hard but I just can't plan another thing! I have 5 kids and planning like that has to be done for some of them and its just not something I can do at this time of life for this subject ❤️ I need something preplanned for now.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Vasha said:

Notgrass has a literature component with their history program (that I've enjoyed).

I for got about them! Is it fairly well done? I'm not looking for a workbook program just something that has a bit of guide and a few assignments.

Scroll to the bottom for the samples.

https://simplify4you.com/gps/

You can also purchase the individual units when you visit the specific core pages. There are four units to each core.

1 hour ago, seemesew said:

Hmmm there is not enough information there for me to want to pay that price plus books...Is there a way to see samples or a video of it?

Edited by pitterpatter
  • Like 1

We have enjoyed using My Father's World for high school, using their 9th and 10th grade curricula covering ancient and world history.  Their 11th grade year for American history, literature, and biblical worldview looks equally impressive.  Their schedules were a terrific way for my son to read through the entire Bible in two years and experience lots of classic literature, history, and primary source excerpts from In Their Words with the Notgrass Exploring World History books. 

MFW has a gradual approach of adding a little bit more challenge each year, both in writing and reading.  Most of the books are reusable.  It will only cost $100 (for non-reusable items) with my second child in ancient history next year.

Here's a link for more info:  https://www.mfwbooks.com/cat/14/DECLARE-9th-to-12th-/

• Like 1