Menu

Physics Board Games?

We incorporate a lot of gameschooling into our lessons & most years that means narrowing down a massive list of fabulous options. This year is physics &… I’m stumped.

I have a couple of balance games (Suspend, Jenga) as well as Subatomic, which suits both chemistry & physics.

Billiards / Air Hockey aren’t exactly board games. Mousetrap is so cheaply made that gameplay is frustrating. Newton looked promising, but the gameplay isn’t thematic. I’m considering Roller Coaster Challenge, but that’s 1-player (not DS’ preference). 

We enjoy set-collection games, deck building games, area control games, resource-collection games, cooperative or competitive. 15min-90min. Typically 2-3players.

Any recommendations??

Edited by Shoes+Ships+SealingWax

This isn’t a board game but we did the physics lab kit from homesciencetools.com and it was great. I think my older was about your child’s age when we did it. 

The kit is fairly complete- I think I had to supply some pennies and that might have been about it.  

The kids had loads of fun with it.

If you have a smart phone, it’s fun to take slo-mo videos of some of the experiments and replay them to see and discuss what’s physically happening.

1 hour ago, WTM said:

This isn’t a board game but we did the physics lab kit from homesciencetools.com and it was great. 

If you have a smart phone, it’s fun to take slo-mo videos of some of the experiments and replay them to see and discuss what’s physically happening.

Yes, we have a couple of lab / activity kits that I’m sure will be enjoyed. We’ll make use of digital resources such as Rollercoaster Tycoon & PolyBridge. DH has a VR flight simulator with yoke / rudder & hopes to take DS up in a small aircraft, as well. 

I’m shocked at the dearth of physics-themed boardgames, though! We’re huge gamers & had a plethora of fabulous games to choose from for every other science topic.

I’ve found one game that looks promising called Antimatter Matters (DS is particularly interested in astrophysics, too) but that’s it. 

13 minutes ago, alisha said:

For some reason my browser is blocking this. I’m able to see the first 3 recommendations in the preview text (only one of which is a board game, but it does look promising!). Would you mind listing game titles 4-10?

5 minutes ago, Shoes+Ships+SealingWax said:

For some reason my browser is blocking this. I’m able to see the first 3 recommendations in the preview text (only one of which is a board game, but it does look promising!). Would you mind listing game titles 4-10?

Sure;
4-Sensible Object Beasts of Balance (amazon link "page not found", but looks to be an upward sculpture type building game
5-Einstein Board Game (https://www.amazon.com/Board-Games-Artana-Einstein/dp/B073V4S2NC/ref=as_li_ss_tl?dchild=1&keywords=physics+board+games&qid=1600516733&sr=8-4&linkCode=sl1&tag=iphonebites-20&linkId=9b6440ee3c133b73d937924d927d382c&language=en_US)
6-Kids Circuit Learning Kit (https://www.amazon.com/OSOYOO-Electricity-Education-Equipment-Recommend/dp/B07F486HVB/ref=as_li_ss_tl?dchild=1&keywords=physics+board+games&qid=1600517483&sr=8-57&linkCode=sl1&tag=iphonebites-20&linkId=3b7cb4ba4db681fb20a9715281be272d&language=en_US)
7-Kitki Space Pirates Fun Science Game ("page not found" at amazon-Kitki Space Pirates Fun Science Game Based On Newton's Laws STEM Toy Gift for Boys & Girls

8-Gravity Warfare https://www.amazon.com/Gravity-Warfare-Gaming-Whole-Level/dp/B07PZ2NPX1/ref=as_li_ss_tl?dchild=1&keywords=gravity+warfare&qid=1600525759&sr=8-1&linkCode=sl1&tag=iphonebites-20&linkId=b32b24730e4af78c7d3a8a8b60335dd6&language=en_US
9-Catapult Toy Home Shooting Game (page not found, but basically a smal suction cupped catapult to shoot foam balls)
10-Jenga

25 minutes ago, mckittre said:

These have some really intriguing options that are much more on the level of what we’d be interested in! This thread is also much more recent than the ones I came across, so hopefully the games have better availability. Sol in particular looks like it would be a huge hit. Thanks! 

Edited by Shoes+Ships+SealingWax

Not board games but build car/boat/plane to race them, members of the household can spend time researching and building these and see who wins. Build toothpick structures like bridges, towers, container, etc. Do drop test, weight, shear test (twist), squish, earthquake, etc. Those were the most fun physics things I did. You can insert as much technical physics knowledge into them as you want.   

• 9 months later...