Menu

Cat fur comb/brush

skimomma

Please tell me there is something out there that might work!

I have followed these discussions in the past and dutifully purchased whatever magic comb/brush people recommend and have yet to find a winner.  I have had cats my entire adult life and have noted that each cat's fur seemed to need a different type of brush.  But I have tried many on our latest addition and have yet to have much success.

This is a tabby with very fine yet dense fur.  It is wavy, light, and hard to capture.  It floats suspended in air.  I have tried the following: traditional metal-tooth comb, wire brush on rubber pad, dense nylon/wire brush combo, glove-style with the rubbery nubs, and a fine metal rake thing commonly called a Furminator (that was the last recommendation I saw on here).  None seem to capture much fur.  The one that does the best is the wire bristles on a rubber pad-style, but still does not seem very effective.  Like, loose fur still sits on the surface of her fur and does not get picked up.  Meanwhile, the fur is all over the house and a literal cloud of loose fur rises from her everything she jumps.  The only thing that seems to capture her fur is our clothing.  It is driving us all bananas.  Any magic devise I have yet to stumble upon?

A curry comb. The ones used for livestock. Comb in short approx 1" sections at a time and grab the fur off repeatedly. Use frequently.

The one we have is similar to this, but has a second blade inside the first one, though the angle we use it at, the second one doesn't get much use anyway. We got it at the livestock/farm/feed store.

https://www.amazon.com/Deshedding-Brush-Set-Dog-Horses/dp/B09M5DTGZ9/ref=mp_s_a_1_12?crid=6IT2409ZF4FN&keywords=horse+deshedding&qid=1645473922&sprefix=horse+deshedding%2Caps%2C158&sr=8-12

Edited by fraidycat
  • Like 2

I was going to say FURMINATOR but you said that didn't work. Just throwing things at the problem they make pet hair attachments on vacuum cleaners... I've seen the demo on a dog essentially, it's a brush that you attach to your vacuum so your vacuum sucks while you brush the animal.

14 hours ago, Clarita said:

I was going to say FURMINATOR but you said that didn't work. Just throwing things at the problem they make pet hair attachments on vacuum cleaners... I've seen the demo on a dog essentially, it's a brush that you attach to your vacuum so your vacuum sucks while you brush the animal.

This would be AWESOME, except that like most cats, mine believe the vacuum is a terrible monster that will eat them alive.  Just opening the door to the closet where it is stored sends them hiding in places unknown to man.  I think if I tried to use a vacuum on either of them, they would simply die.  Immediately.  Which would ultimately solve the problem but not the way I would prefer.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Selkie said:

I use a metal flea comb, too - that's what our vet recommends.

As soon as I adopted these 2 large long haired cats with matted fur, I went searching for the best reviewed grooming tools and bought the top 6. Bar none this $5 metal flea comb is the best of all. And my cats purr in my lap while I have spent literal hours slowly combing and picking apart all their mats.  Probably saved me $300+ in paying a groomer to do it and a lot of stress for the cats.

As for the wisps of fur floating around me after each round - turned the ceiling fan on and sat on a blanket to groom them and put the comb clumps into an empty tissue box to reduce escaping and resigned myself to repeatedly vacuuming the bedroom after each session.   I have filled 2 large sized Kleenex boxes so far. Poor Maxwell is only half way done.  

Edited by Murphy101
  • Like 1