Menu

How do you use "The Most Important Thing You'll Ever Study?"

For anyone who uses The Most Important Thing You'll Ever Study, what does it look like in your house? How old are your DC? Does your DC do it on their own, or do you do it together as a family discussion? If they do it on their own, do you go over it? Discuss it?  How long does it take each day?  Why did you choose it over other options / alternatives? Are your kids on board with it or do they find it dull? Is it mostly Bible facts or also application? 

(tagging @cintinative because I think I saw it in your sig)

Well, I chose it because I wanted my kids to get a survey of the Bible.  You have two options when using The Most Important Thing You'll Ever Study--one is to read the whole Bible along with it OR the second is to just read the portions assigned in the workbooks.  My kids just read the stuff assigned in the workbooks. My oldest finished, and is now doing a Bible reading plan.

There is a local university model school here that uses this and makes it into a class with discussion and tests, etc.  So one year is Old Testament and the next is New Testament or vice versa (I think they switched it recently).

There are two workbooks for OT and two for NT. I didn't require that my kids finish both workbooks in one year, but my oldest basically did. I told them to work 15 minutes a day (5 days a week).  My youngest who has a processing issue and is a much slower reader took more like 1.5 years to do the OT books.

There are "tests" in the workbook but they can be quite hard in my opinion.  My guess is in a "class" they would not have it set up in that way. My kids do the tests open book. 

For grading, I just mark it if it is wrong and they go back and fix it. If they can't find the answer and have spent some time on it, I help them.  So I look at it as mastery.  

I don't know that there are a lot of other Bible survey options for this age level.  I bought R.C. Sproul's Dust to Glory thinking we could do that as a video/discussion while we read through the Bible again and it was just a bit too much for my 9th grader.  YMMV.  

It might make a difference that it is written from a Reformed perspective. 

For earlier grades, we really liked God's Great Covenant NT 1 and 2, and OT 1 and 2. Those we did discuss together.

17 minutes ago, WTM said:

Discuss it?  Is it mostly Bible facts or also application? 

We don't really discuss it, because it is not really an "application" approach. The author introduces the book and asks comprehension type questions about different parts of the book.  I don't know that I would call it Bible "facts" though.  

I believe it is technically designed for junior high but I can totally see using it in high school and beefing it up.  I am still deciding if I am offering credit for Bible. 

For my oldest,  so far he has completed The Most Important Thing You'll Ever Study, Living by the Book (Hendricks/Hendricks) and his reading through the Bible in the Year plan.

• Thanks 1

For anyone who uses The Most Important Thing You'll Ever Study, what does it look like in your house? We read the whole Bible, one chapter a day, doing the workbook orally.

How old are your DC? 11, 9, 5, 0.

How long does it take each day? 20 minutes.

Why did you choose it over other options / alternatives? Because we wanted to get away from studies and just read scripture, but still wanted discussion prompts.

Are your kids on board with it or do they find it dull? The big 2 like it, the 5yo doesn't care and the baby ate part of the answer key, so I think he likes it.

Is it mostly Bible facts or also application? Hmmm. Comprehension with facts sprinkled throughout.

Our Bible routine:

Read One Year Bible independently before we get out of bed.

Read The Ology (prolly too young for you) and a hymn over breakfast together.

Read one chapter of the Bible together in the evening, do applicable TMITYES work.

• Like 3

We are using it this year. My kids are 11, 14, and 15. We do it together - there isn’t a ton of discussion because it’s mostly Bible facts. We do talk about how things work together and how the Bible is really one big story.  We spend maybe 15-30 minutes each day. I am not sure if we will finish this year, but it’s because we are kind of hit and miss with school. 

• Like 2

We are using it this year with 14 and 16 yo's. I wanted a survey of the OT and NT. My oldest has expressed that it is all review. She doesn't dislike it but says she isn't learning anything -- said she knew all of this from Bible Study Guide for All Ages in elementary and she has read through the complete Bible now on her 4th time through. They do it on their own and then we discuss the tests and any questions they have on that section whenever we get to it. 

52 minutes ago, ByGrace3 said:

she has read through the complete Bible now on her 4th time through. 

I love that! So many adults have not even done that.

Has she read Living by the Book? It has Bible study tools in it that might enrich her reading.  https://www.amazon.com/Living-Book-Science-Reading-Bible/dp/0802408230

Edited by cintinative

11 hours ago, cintinative said:

I love that! So many adults have not even done that.

Has she read Living by the Book? It has Bible study tools in it that might enrich her reading.  https://www.amazon.com/Living-Book-Science-Reading-Bible/dp/0802408230

She has not read that one, but we did a study through How to Read the Bible for All it's Worth last year, and this year we read Women of the Word by Jen Wilken, which was excellent. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ByGrace3 said:

She has not read that one, but we did a study through How to Read the Bible for All it's Worth last year, and this year we read Women of the Word by Jen Wilken, which was excellent. 

I was just going to suggest she might like Jen Wilken. That's so great!! I love her thirst for God's word!

• Like 1