Menu

Fave English Grammar Programs without writing or spelling

Ting Tang

I have writing and spelling curriculums I like. Are there any English grammar programs you like that still touch on mechanics, punctuation, etc? Ideally, I am not looking for something that makes me cross out needless instruction/activities in writing and spelling.  We’re currently using Memoria Press English Grammar Recitation, but I’m told it’s not complete if you’re not using the Latin. We will likely not be using the Latin next year. Something not too wordy or cumbersome for 4th and 5th graders? 

Edited by Ting Tang

11 hours ago, Brittany1116 said:

Rod and Staff English?

10 hours ago, Lovinglife123 said:

Rod and staff.. you can do as much orally as you want, assign whatever they need.  It’s clear and straightforward, written to the student.

Thank you both! I notice there are writing assignments included in it. Can students skip those without it affecting the rest of the course? We are using Rod and Staff spelling, and I like it. I wouldn’t mind them doing the writing, except I do like the classical approach. 

2 minutes ago, Ting Tang said:

Thank you both! I notice there are writing assignments included in it. Can students skip those without it affecting the rest of the course? We are using Rod and Staff spelling, and I like it. I wouldn’t mind them doing the writing, except I do like the classical approach. 

The writing assignments are scattered and pretty minor. As my child has been getting older, I have required additional writing because Rod and Staff is a bare minimum. All I can recall for level 6 this year is outlining and a brief report, and maybe an essay? Nothing fancy and nothing that can't be skipped.

2 hours ago, Brittany1116 said:

The writing assignments are scattered and pretty minor. As my child has been getting older, I have required additional writing because Rod and Staff is a bare minimum. All I can recall for level 6 this year is outlining and a brief report, and maybe an essay? Nothing fancy and nothing that can't be skipped.

Thank you so much.  That sounds good for us then!  🙂

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Spirea said:

Your oldest is 10? I'd try First Language Lessons. I like that it teaches diagramming.

Ooh I like that I could use it for both my 4th and 5th graders next year— they will be 9 & 10. Do you know how the Grammar for the WTM fits in? Do you do FLL as a prerequisite?

Growing with Grammar and Easy Grammar are workbook-based, with no writing.

(Although, Easy Grammar was a bust here, as it follows the same pattern from lesson to lesson, and my kids quickly figured out the pattern and just plugged in the required item with no actual learning. 😉 )

Edited by Lori D.

19 hours ago, ScoutTN said:

How much grammar have they had?

We used Rod & Staff just for the grammar for several years. Very thorough. 

Jr. AG might be a good choice.

FLL/WTM are good too.

Well, my oldest did Abeka Grade 3 grammar and is now doing the English Grammar Recitation II through Memoria Press, so he's had a bit for his age.  Same with my 3rd grader---he used Abeka last year and is doing EGR I through MP this year, but he is my struggling reader and writer, though he is learning grammar alright despite his other struggles.  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Lori D. said:

Growing with Grammar and Easy Grammar are workbook-based, with no writing.

(Although, Easy Grammar was a bust here, as it follows the same pattern from lesson to lesson, and my kids quickly figured out the pattern and just plugged in the required item with no actual learning. 😉 )

I like the workbook idea without writing included, but I can guarantee my oldest would figure out the pattern, lol!

Edited by Ting Tang
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Lovinglife123 said:

For rod and staff I have them do the writing but it’s very minor and we easily can do a writing “program”.  However it is *enough* that we don’t need to.  The biggest difference I noticed between FLL and rod and staff is that FLL is very teacher intensive.  Rod and staff is set up to be very independent- yet easy to jump in and help with the teachers manual.  

That sounds great! My oldest, though, doesn't end up being very independent, even in his independent subjects. Maybe that will change next year!

1 minute ago, Ting Tang said:

Well, my oldest did Abeka Grade 3 grammar and is now doing the English Grammar Recitation II through Memoria Press, so he's had a bit for his age.  Same with my 3rd grader---he used Abeka last year and is doing EGR I through MP this year, but he is my struggling reader and writer, though he is learning grammar alright despite his other struggles.  

If you’ve done that much, FLL will be too basic.

1 hour ago, Brittany1116 said:

We have been using it for years and I wouldn't call it comprehensive. The 10 or so lessons per book can be easily skipped, or done in addition to a solid writing program.

Before SWB wrote her own English books, she recommended R&S English in its entirety. Have you used it through high school? Because beginning with the 7th grade text, I can't imagine adding additional writing instruction. Also, do you require your dc to do all the assignments in writing, or do you allow them to do it orally? Because everything counts as writing, which SWB noted.

3 minutes ago, Ellie said:

Before SWB wrote her own English books, she recommended R&S English in its entirety. Have you used it through high school? Because beginning with the 7th grade text, I can't imagine adding additional writing instruction. Also, do you require your dc to do all the assignments in writing, or do you allow them to do it orally? Because everything counts as writing, which SWB noted.

We have used 2-6 and have 7 on the shelf. Next year he will use RS 7 and an IEW writing program. Over the years, we have done everything from mostly oral work (grade 2) to worksheets (3-4) to all written answers.

Are we reading the question differently? I answered to the question of what program doesn't necessarily TEACH writing as a subject. Yes, RS requires physical writing if you choose not to do oral work or need it in addition. But I wouldn't call it a writing program for the levels the OP is asking about. If she needs thorough elementary grammar instruction that doesn't double as a writing curriculum, RS is great. 

Hi all! Well, I want to continue our classical writing programs and use a program for grammar that won’t have me crossing things out or not using materials I have paid for. I like so much, but a lot of what’s out there seems to have all language arts components included (Abeka, TGTB, etc.). 

19 minutes ago, Lovinglife123 said:

There’s nothing to cross out or not use.  It’s a textbook & they write it all in a notebook.  They can’t figure out a pattern because it all has to be applied vs fill in the blank.  They learn to write just by applying grammar.  It’s super cheap but that’s not why we use it 😊😊😊

lol  Well, my daughter finished her 1st grade Abeka math early this year, and I decided to buy the 2nd half of R&S (different scope and sequence, but the continuum works here), and I really appreciated the price...lol  I've read good things about R&S English.

• Like 1

It really is thorough grammar instruction. There is always a lesson on how to use a (corded wall) telephone at the end to practice effective oral communication. LoL I think if you just flipped past the few writing lessons, you'd be happy with it. My oldest in level 6, for example, recently skipped through a lesson on how to write a friendly letter and address an envelope because he's already proficient. 

19 hours ago, Ting Tang said:

Hi all! Well, I want to continue our classical writing programs and use a program for grammar that won’t have me crossing things out or not using materials I have paid for. I like so much, but a lot of what’s out there seems to have all language arts components included (Abeka, TGTB, etc.). 

Growing With Grammar or Junior Analytical Grammar -- just grammar, no writing, no spelling.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Lori D. said:

Growing With Grammar or Junior Analytical Grammar -- just grammar, no writing, no spelling.

Thank you!  I will look closer at these.  It seems like some of the ones that include more than one component of language arts don't do one thing or another the way I prefer, so for now, I would like to not waste materials I won't be using.

For a totally different, cuddle-on-the-couch approach to grammar that you could use with multiple kids, take a look at Michael Clay Thompson’s grammar series. It’s fabulous

https://www.rfwp.com/mct-language-arts/five-strands/grammar/

https://www.rfwp.com/mct-language-arts/five-strands/grammar-practice/

5 hours ago, Shoes+Ships+SealingWax said:

For a totally different, cuddle-on-the-couch approach to grammar that you could use with multiple kids, take a look at Michael Clay Thompson’s grammar series. It’s fabulous

https://www.rfwp.com/mct-language-arts/five-strands/grammar/

https://www.rfwp.com/mct-language-arts/five-strands/grammar-practice/

I've looked a bit at that.  I can't quite figure out the books, but it looks interesting!  I think it might be good for my second born, for whom writing is still tricky physically (I suspect ASD, dysgraphia).