Menu

Easy open pet gate??

ktgrok

I need the impossible - a pet gate for the stairs that my 4yr old (almost 5) can open, but the dogs can't open. 

We got a gate and modified it by covering up one of the latches so the 4yr old can open it but now the dogs can paw it open. (it was just closed, not latched at all). They, after many years of being housebroken with zero accidents have decided that the carpet we have upstairs in the new house is "indoor grass" and fair game for pooping - and one dog is peeing as well. I'm hopeful that once we have a fence up outside in a few weeks they will do better, as they don't love pooping on a leash, but this is ridiculous!!! Only option is to gate them downstairs so they don't sneak up - one does it every time I take a bath if I don't put her in her kennel - but having to constantly let the 4 year old through is driving us nuts. 

HELP! Anyone know of a gate that a kid can open easily? Most are made to keep kids out, obviously, so this is a real PIA. Not to mention if I'm carrying stuff up or downstairs, like a load of laundry, a hard to open gate then becomes a hazard. 

Dogs are 80-95lbs, but don't jump so doesn't have to be super tall. Just medium tall. 

If I remember right you husband is good at fixing things. What about retrofitting the gate you have, (or making a custom one) with a magnetic child lock. The kind with a nob that you use to open the lock.  Then just attach the nob to the wall with a cord, so it doesn't wander away. LOL

There are lots out there, but her is one just incase you haven't seen them before. 

Edited by Tap

Could you leave the latch nonfunctional and wrap a Velcro strap to keep it closed? 

Although that would require teaching the 4 year old to close it 100% of the time.

Could you add a step stool and teach the 4 year old to climb?  My kids definitely would have done better at climbing than at remembering.

I don't know if this is too hard for a 4 year old or not as my youngest is 8 but it has a little slider that you grasp on each side of the handle and then lift up.  We have two of these gates and absolutely love them for dealing with the dogs. If you only open them part way, they auto swing close but you can also push them all the way open and they stay open for those times you need to go through but don't have extra hands.  They also have a mechanism where you can control if the gate only swings one way or both.  

FRISCO Extra Wide Auto-Close Pet Gate, 30-in Height, Black - Chewy.com

3 hours ago, Tap said:

If I remember right you husband is good at fixing things. 

If I remember past threads correctly, it's more that he's good at planning to fix things 😄

"I said I'd fix it, you don't have to keep reminding me every six months." <<< one of my dh's fave quotes 

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, katilac said:

If I remember past threads correctly, it's more that he's good at planning to fix things 😄

"I said I'd fix it, you don't have to keep reminding me every six months." <<< one of my dh's fave quotes 

yup.

And he even admitted he'd rather I buy something than him have to create something right now. We have too much else to do.