Menu

This screams Scam to me

math teacher

I received this email yesterday. It's a scam, right?

My name is Ginger Allen I often pick up cans on highway 237, today while I was walking I found a piece of outgoing mail that belongs to you in the ditch.. It's a check for under $5 but I just wanted you to know I have it. You're welcome to pick it up. Just give me a call 903-490-6228 thanks

Inbox

AOh14GjetUYvp3qXWhSm6Tw91M9B46kig6E5QPhFFpvVLgk=s40
Inbox

AOh14GjetUYvp3qXWhSm6Tw91M9B46kig6E5QPhFFpvVLgk=s40

21 minutes ago, Starr said:

and did you actually write a check for under five dollars and why not say who the check was written out to.

I took it that I was receiving a check for under $5. Which actually might be true because our utility companies usually send us a small refund once a year. 

But, isn't it against the law to open someone else's mail?

If I found someone's mail in a ditch, I would put it in a public mailbox to be delivered or returned to sender to deal with. Maybe if the address was convenient to me, I would take it there and put it in their mailbox. It would be legal to do so because it's addressed mail. I certainly would not open it. I'm pretty sure most people would do the same. 

And, yeah, how would that person find your email address, unless it was on the letter/statement/check advice, which seems unlikely?

Edited by marbel
  • Like 4