Menu

algebra for young 12 year old

pjssully

-- Looking for a suggestion for Alegbra 1 for a 12 year old. She started Saxon and though she has been getting A's on her tests, she hates it. it has begun to take too long for each lesson and she hates the constant review. She and I talked and she would prefer more of a mastery program. We have VideoText but i am a bit nervous about using this-not sure why. Any opinions?

thanks

pam

My daughter did CD Alg. I the school year she turned 10. She CD pre-algebra before that and is now doing CD Alg. II and geometry together, over 2 years. The DVD instruction is fabulous. Can't recommend it highly enough for a young math student. I went with CD over VideoText because Mr. Moseley (the DVD instructor) strongly stresses writing out the steps of the problem. For accelerated students, especially, I think this is an issue because they may never have had to go through all of the steps necessary to solve a problem before. As they get into higher math, however, writing out the steps becomes more critical.

CD is pricey, for sure, but it has a fabulous resale value.

Terri

We loved Jacobs Algebra here. Very gentle, incremental, with every lesson having a great "real life" or fun example of how the math concept is really used. I've also heard a lot of other people on the high school board really like "Life of Fred" for Algebra.

Side Note: With a young student, also consider stretching Algebra out over 1-1/2 years to keep it from getting overwhelming, and to allow the abstract reasoning and logic portions of the brain to mature to better comprehend the abstract concepts of Algebra.

BEST of luck in finding what works for your family! Warmest regards, Lori D.