Menu

Cooking help - precooking meatballs

AurieD

I am having a Halloween party this weekend and expecting about 30 people. This is unusual for me, I don't do much entertaining so am not used to cooking for a crowd. I am making meatball subs but I'm not sure the best way to precook to make things easier on the night.

When making meatballs for my family I usually brown by frying and then cook in sauce. Can I brown the day before and then cook in sauce that evening? Or is that not safe as the meat wouldn't be fully cooked? Should I just cook the whole lot including sauce and then reheat the next day?

Thank you!

You can cook all of it all the way through the day before. I wouldn't partially cook something and save it to finish later, that's extremely risky. I have a BIL who is a health inspector and I have heard so many stories about risky food situations.  I fry my Italian meatballs and kefta meatballs on high heat for browning, then on lower heat with the lid until they reach the desired internal temp. Then put them all in the fridge to cool down. Some stay in the fridge for the next day or later in the week while the rest go in the freezer.

• Like 2