Menu

PIANO teacher woes...any ideas?

When we lived in NC we had a wonderful piano teacher. Kyle loved her and he learned a lot and at his last recital he played three songs from Phantom of the Opera!

Then we moved.

Someone here recommended this prestigious "Piano Academy" at the local university. Kyle auditioned and won a coveted spot in the class. I was such a proud momma even though it costs a fortune.

He hates it. He has been in it for 5 months and he fights me about practicing nearly every day. His teachers are pleasant but strict and very...ummm...particular about how things are done. ;) His previous teacher taught him theory while learning songs so every week he could easily have 10 different songs he was working on and he practiced an hour a day and he loved it.

Now his practice and classes consist mostly of theory and technique. He drills, and drills, and drills....scales, cadences, triads, and a whole bunch of other stuff I am not familiar with. But very few actual songs. Not to mention we have to drive quite a ways twice a week.

He is now talking about quitting which breaks my heart. I am not going to let him, of course, but I know that he is losing his love for it. So a friend recommended a new piano teacher. We met her yesterday.

She is a singer, songwriter and musician. She only takes students who already know how to read music, notes, time signatures, and what-not, because she teaches them to play primarily using chords once they know how to read music.

The good: he will learn more songs right off the bat. He really wants to use his music to worship God, play in church, for family, etc. He will most likely not be a concert pianist for a career. She loves the Lord and is the worship leader at her church.

The bad: very little theory. Is that bad? I am not sure. I don't play, so will I damage him for life if he moves into playing with chords? He wants to play songs by Mercy Me and Casting Crowns, not Beethoven.

Am I a sell-out if I let him switch? Am I taking the easy road? Caving in? I just want him to love it again like he used to......:confused:

I would get him out of the University Academy. Is he planning on being a professional concert pianist? If not, it is for the love of music and if he isn't loving it because of the style of teaching, it is not worth the trouble. The new teacher you found sound like what he needs right now. Give him time to let his love of the instruments developer again, even if the teacher isn't "prestigious".

My college violin teacher killed me with music I didn't like, technique and skill work. I barely play any more.

This is truly a pickle.:) If your son hates piano he will want to quit and that is definitely not good. If your son takes from the lady who does not teach scales, drills, etc. your son will not get the best piano education, but at least will still maintain his love for piano.

Personally, I would try to find another piano instructor who teaches theory, expects the student to practice scales, arpeggios, etc. but who realizes that a student must be working on songs as well in order to keep motivated.

My daughter's teacher does all three and, although my daughter is not thrilled with scales and arpeggios, she has begun to see that they truly do help her in the long run when she encounters runs and arpeggios in actual pieces. Many piano pieces are filled with bits of scales and arpeggios and learning them really does improve your playing.

Barring being able to find a teacher who does all three, I would try two things. First, have a talk with your son and explain that these scales and drills are going to improve his piano playing drastically and that if he can just push through it, he will move on to more exciting things later. If he is unconvinced and still wants to quit, then I'd go for the option of the other teacher who does not teach much theory. That certainly is better than him quitting altogether.

3 months ago, I was very much where you are now. I hated watching my talented, formerly motivated and happy 13 yod completely wilting under a new teacher. Where she had previously practiced 1 hr./day (happily), it became a chore for her. My situation was somewhat different from yours in that my daughter had to leave a very particular and demanding teacher that she loved. Kids are so different. Her new teacher was totally laid back and not challenging in the least. But the point is that I couldn't bear to watch her lose something that was formerly so much a wonderful part of her life!

I would switch teachers. As a PP said, he can pick up the theory later. Or possibly on line? I've never looked into that, but I would hate to just drop it. But I think it is more important to keep the love alive, so-to-speak, until he is able to be self-motivated and self-teach (maybe by playing at church).

I understand why you feel like you're caving, but what's the point of digging in your heels if it ultimately makes him lose his love of music? It sounds like this is a gift that God has given him..... and I'm sure God will be glorified, even if your ds doesn't know his theory perfectly. :)

HTH, Jackie

I would lcontinue to ask around for a piano teacher that combines both--motivating teaching and theory. If you can't find one, go with the one that your son will enjoy. The relationship and love of piano is way more important.

My sons love (truly) their piano teacher, and would fly to the moon for her. That makes all the difference in the world. :)

Cat

I think I would make him stick it out at the University until the beginning of the summer. Tell him you are looking around for other teachers, but until then he is to do his best with his lessons now.

#1 All those drills and arpeggio's will only HELP him, whatever he wants to do with his talent.

#2 Kids don't like what they aren't good at. If he WORKS HARD for 6mo, he might start to actually LIKE the challenge. (...and kids generally don't like a teacher that pushes them until after they have been pushed into a spot they didn't think they could go.)

#3 His teacher may be holding back the "fun stuff" until he gets to a certain level of proficiency....meaning in 6 mo if he is working hard, he won't be doing the same drill work.

In the meantime, I would get a kitchen timer and require total focus on drill work for 15-20min per day, and then let him choose some pieces to play for fun - whatever that may be.

Could you get him some piano books with songs he likes if he stays at the University? Or how about getting him theory books to work through on his own if you try the new teacher?

I don't know which place to tell you to go with, though. It's a tough decision. I would probably lean toward having him stick out the University program until the end of the school year, but add in your own songs at home. Especially if they are familiar songs, he should be able to work through them on his own without help since he's been in piano for awhile.

Is this a class with other students at the academy or is it individual lessons? If it's individual lessons, then have you or your ds explained the situation to the instructor and requested that at least one song be included in each lesson? Or have you checked with the instructor to find out when he plans on having your ds start to play real songs?

If that isn't possible, I'd start looking for a teacher that covers theory and real songs. But your ds is old enough to stick with the academy while you're looking if you tell him that you're looking for a better alternative.

Thank you all for the great advice. I still am not sure what to do. I wish he could see both teachers but the university program won't allow it. If we use any other teacher outside the program then they won't let him stay in. Something about conflicting teaching styles. :(

I guess we will keep praying about it for now.

Have you discussed the issue with his instructor? They might not even be aware of his dislike for the lessons. What was their response?

If they're not able to individualize his instruction a little bit more, I see no harm in asking the instructors what they'd recommend. Should he leave the program? Surely they don't want a student who's miserable.

Maybe they can recommend an instructor that would be a better balance of theory and fun. IMO, you need both.

Were this my ds, I'd speak with his instructor first. If possible, I'd include your son. Ask for help, and see what they recommend. Then, if necessary, ask for a recommendation for other instructors.

Hi Heather,

Just my two cents from someone who has a Master's in piano pedagogy and taught for eight years in a University program that is probably quite similar to yours...

Yes, the technical exercises and theory are important to developing skill and thorough musical understanding, especially if you plan to learn very difficult classical repertoire. I require it of all my students. That being said, you mentioned your son is really interested in using his music to worship and serve probably in the same way this other teacher does, correct? I don't know how advanced your son is as he is only 10. But if he already reads music well and has a thorough understanding of rhythm and fairly solid technical skills, or if he doesn't right now but WHEN he gets to that point I think this other teacher sounds great. He would probably learn A LOT of skills that he wouldn't necessarily get at the "music academy." Chords are theory, and he would probably become very proficient in improvising and modulating and arranging which takes a good understanding of chord relationships and would be very beneficial in the more relaxed style of music that he is interested in. Strictly classically trained musicians tend to be weak in that area (I am for sure.) I would hope Miss "other teacher" would include technical work as well and perhaps your son wouldn't balk as much if he were more interested in the music he was learning.

I would hesitate to switch without at least having a discussion with the current teacher to see if there is anything he/she can do to motivate your son more. Stick out the year at the academy and then go from there.

Good luck!

I am a piano teacher. And I've found the greatest piano method on the planet. It sounds like what your son is looking for. It is all about learning a huge repetoire of great-sounding music very quickly. Most kids learn between 30 and 50 songs during their first year, and these are the beginners.

It is called "Simply Music." You have to be certified specifically to teach this program so there are a limited number of teachers. But if you look on their website(Simplymusicdotcom) you can do a search to find out if there are teachers in your area.

I have been teaching music for a long time and I cannot speak highly enough about this program. It is truly a breakthrough in music education. The approach to learning music is completely different than in traditional lessons. The goal of the program is for the students to have music as a companion for the rest of their lives, as opposed to the 'get frustrated and quit' model of traditional piano lessons.

Feel free to email me if you have any questions about this method.

Kathy

I am a piano teacher. And I've found the greatest piano method on the planet. It sounds like what your son is looking for. It is all about learning a huge repetoire of great-sounding music very quickly. Most kids learn between 30 and 50 songs during their first year, and these are the beginners.

It is called "Simply Music." You have to be certified specifically to teach this program so there are a limited number of teachers. But if you look on their website(Simplymusicdotcom) you can do a search to find out if there are teachers in your area.

I have been teaching music for a long time and I cannot speak highly enough about this program. It is truly a breakthrough in music education. The approach to learning music is completely different than in traditional lessons. The goal of the program is for the students to have music as a companion for the rest of their lives, as opposed to the 'get frustrated and quit' model of traditional piano lessons.

Feel free to email me if you have any questions about this method.

Kathy

I checked out their website and a teacher in this style is not nearby so I was wondering about their DVDs? Have you seen them? Are they good?

My understanding is that the DVDs were actually designed with homeschoolers in mind because there were so many homeschoolers who wanted this program. It was reviewed in a couple of homeschooling magazines a while back. http://www.simplymusic.com/SimplyMusicABreakthroughinMusicEducation

http://www.simplymusic.com/ABreakthroughForStudentsWithSpecialNeeds

I'm not sure how the DVDs would be for a student with prior experience though. You may want to call the Simply Music office in Sacramento and ask them.

Good luck!

Kathy

Edited by Birkenkathy