Menu

Online College Calculus or Counselor-for-hire who could help me find one

Can anyone suggest a good, accredited online college Calculus course and Physics course?

The most important issue is that I be able to check out the teachers ahead of time. I don't want nameless courses or courses where you sign up and then you find out who your teacher is.

It would be nice if you can start any time, but this is of secondary importance.

Alternatively, if anyone could suggest a counselor-for-hire who could help me find the course I'm looking for, that would also be great.

Thanks!

Hello Kevin and welcome to WTM.   If you can provide some additional information hopefully someone will have some suggestions for you. For example, I would like to know if you plan to transfer these courses into a College or University? If so, which ones are you looking at?  I suspect getting an Asychronous course at the College level  is less likely, but I am guessing at that. Those courses are harder.  Have you contacted the schools you are interested in transferring the credits into, to see if they can suggest 1 or 2 providers?  I'm guessing, but I hate to assume, if the name of the Instructor is known and available in advance that it will be a school with low enrollment. That may or may not be true. Good luck!

1 hour ago, Lanny said:

Hello Kevin and welcome to WTM.   If you can provide some additional information hopefully someone will have some suggestions for you. For example, I would like to know if you plan to transfer these courses into a College or University? If so, which ones are you looking at?  I suspect getting an Asychronous course at the College level  is less likely, but I am guessing at that. Those courses are harder.  Have you contacted the schools you are interested in transferring the credits into, to see if they can suggest 1 or 2 providers?  I'm guessing, but I hate to assume, if the name of the Instructor is known and available in advance that it will be a school with low enrollment. That may or may not be true. Good luck!

Why do you think the bolded?
Any lecture course taught by regular faculty at my school (10k students) has the instructor listed in the schedule when enrollment begins.
It's only the recitation instructors for multi-section classes that may not be known until closer to the beginning of the semester. Which has nothing to do with the size of the school, but with the reality of not knowing exactly how many will be signing up the course and how may sections will be needed.

• Thanks 1

Kevin,
with the ongoing pandemic, many colleges will be offering an online option for calc or physics. Pick a school you consider of suitable caliber and price point and peruse their Schedule of classes which should now be available for the spring semester.

Since these are introductory courses, the lecture instructor will most likely be named, while recitation instructors might not be determined yet since that is not possible until the college knows how many sections they will need to open.

• Like 1

What do you mean by accredited?

Almost all universities are accredited in some way. If you're looking for a high school class, that's something different. Accredited at the high school level is almost never useful in the homeschooling world. If you need to transfer a class back to a physical school, the school needs to approve the course before the student takes it, but again, they may or may not care about the type of accreditation. 

4 hours ago, Kevin Rhoads said:

I'm looking for an actual college, not AP. For example, I'm currently checking out the University of North Dakota and Arizona State online.

Thank you

Kevin

Thank you Kevin!    Question: I am assuming, which I try not to do,  that your intended major has something to do with aviation and/or aircraft and/or airline management, because  you mentioned North Dakota. Am I correct about that?

If so I suggest that you also check out Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University in Florida (and yes I know they have a branch campus in Arizona).  The first MOOC course I took was from ERAU (on the Canvas platform) and I thought and still believe years later that it was quite awesome.  Also, I suspect there may be a possibility of them having an Asychronous course.  And, of you being able to contact a live person (preferably by email or chat and not by voice phone call) to find out the name of the Instructors. Good luck to you!

Ok. I was thinking high school

level. I am a bit skeptical of ASU due to the feedback I get from the dual enrollment course, I’m not sure it will be good for math or physics. GSU has their classes and instructors up and you can use rate my professor to check- this isn’t always accurate but can give an idea. My dd is taking  calculus with Wong Du and it is going well. She also attends office hours weekly which helps. 

• Like 1

On 10/15/2021 at 10:27 AM, Lilaclady said:

Ok. I was thinking high school

level. I am a bit skeptical of ASU due to the feedback I get from the dual enrollment course, I’m not sure it will be good for math or physics. GSU has their classes and instructors up and you can use rate my professor to check- this isn’t always accurate but can give an idea. My dd is taking  calculus with Wong Du and it is going well. She also attends office hours weekly which helps. 

@Kevin RhoadsThere are some things about ASU that may be of additional interest to you. One is that they have some courses where the students can begin for little or no cost and then if they like their grade they can pay for the course. There is a very recent thread somewhere on WTM, perhaps in the past 2 to 4 weeks, discussing that. The drawback to that is the quality, which may or may not be top notch, because of the number of students they must enroll to make that business plan be profitable for them.  That model has pluses and minuses and is worth spending some time looking into. I doubt that you would know who the Instructors are prior to beginning so that's a crapshoot. Will those courses transfer to where you want to transfer them?

The comment above about "Office Hours" is very important. Something you should take advantage of!