Menu

Need help updating a chart in a government book

ETA: Thanks to a poster, I found the data.

The chart is Federal government revenues FY 1998. I have found all the other data but I cannot seem to find "borrowing" as a % of total federal government revenues in FY 2020.  

The categories they have in the chart in the book are: individual income taxes, social insurance taxes, borrowing, corporate income taxes, excise taxes, and other.

Everything I am coming up with does not have "borrowing."  Possibly showing my ignorance here.

I found this. No borrowing is listed.  https://www.cbo.gov/publication/57173

ETA: Yes, I know the book's data is old, but honestly, this government book is better than some of the others I have looked at, and I don't mind updating stats here and there.

Edited by cintinative

I finally found it.  "Each year, trillions of dollars of debt mature and new debt is issued to take its place. In FY 2020, new borrowings were $19.0 trillion, and repayments of maturing debt held by the public were $14.8 trillion, both increases from FY 2019"

• Sad 1

10 minutes ago, daijobu said:

I'm just curious and not at all well informed on this topic.  Doesn't the federal government issue bonds like all the time, every year?  Or are there some years when no bonds are issued?  

I'm not well informed either but I think they do issue them every year, which is why I was confused about why I couldn't find anything. That seemed odd, especially during the pandemic.  I just wasn't looking in the right place.  

• Like 1

If the government is running a deficit, it has to be borrowing more (issuing more debt).  That is the only way it can spend more than it is briniging in in revenue.  

If the government were running a surplus (which has not happened in a while), then it would not have to issue additional debt.  However, it would probably be issuing some new debt to retire old debt, much like individuals would refinance a mortgage.  

It is odd to look at the debt as a percent of government revenue (although it could tell you how much government spending is being supported by debt and how much by current tax collections and other government revenues.).  Often debt is looked at as a percent of GDP.

One of the best sources for economic data is the Federal Reserve FRED database.  This link Federal Debt: Total Public Debt (GFDEBTN) | FRED | St. Louis Fed (stlouisfed.org)will take you to the change in total Federal debt each year.  In 2020, the federal debt increased by $3,605,575 Million--so over $3.6 Trillion.  That would be $3.6 trillion in new debt.  

• Like 2

• cintinative changed the title to Need help updating a chart in a government book