Menu

National Award on Transcript?

Hi. My DS is only in 9th grade but I want to keep up on his transcript and course descriptions so I'm not caught off guard and scrambling his senior year 🙂 

He is highly interested in languages and linguistics and is currently in Lukeion Ancient Greek 3 with Dr. Barr having already completed Lukeion Greek 1 and 2 with A's.  I plan to include both Greek 1 and 2 in the "Courses taken before 9th grade section" but am wondering where to include the "High Honors" ribbons earned on the National Greek Exam both years? Are they better off in a separate section on awards or do I tie them to the specific classes? I think what's complicating this is I normally wouldn't include awards given in 7th and 8th grade but I want them there to validate the grades given on the transcript and because they were directly related to the course (as much as an AP Exam for example). 

Any thoughts?

• Like 1

A few ideas:

Consider listing the courses as "Honors Greek 1" and "Honors Greek 2" as the name of the course on the transcript. Lukeion is well known for being rigorous and well above "regular" level language courses. You would also need to decide whether or not to use weighted grades. (Honors = + 0.5) Many people list pre-9th grade courses on the transcript, but don't include the grade as part of the GPA. Some do. Some colleges will re-calculate and only count the courses taken in the 4 years prior to entering college. So, do with that what you will. 😉

As far as wanting to include the high honors ribbons from the National Greek Exam...

Normally that would be included in the separate Awards and Extracurriculars document. Although most people don't include anything prior to 9th grade, since this would be part of your DS's continuing interest in languages and linguistics, then it's up to you.

If participation Since participation in the Nat'l Greek Exam was directly related to the course, class, then you might consider including that info instead In the separate Course Description document as part of what made up the course, along with the course provider.

One last way of listing on the transcript might be with a footnote. Example:

Foreign Languages
year/grade . . course . . . . grade . . credit

7th . . . . . . . . Greek 1* . . . A . . . . 1.00
8th . . . . . . . . Greek 2* . . . A . . . . 1.00
9th . . . . . . . . Greek 3* . . . A . . . . 1.00
* = with National Greek Exam, high honors award

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 3

I agree with @Lori D. that awards in middle school aren't supposed to be included on a college app, but there are ways to sneak it in.  I also like her idea of calling the classes Honors and then including something in the course description about honors designation awarded to students who achieve High Honors on the NGE.  

Another thing your student can if Greek or ancient languages or similar will continue to be a topic of interest in high school:  he can mention his middle school awards in an essay or short answer part of his college app.  Something along the lines of, "I was so pleased to be among the 5 people out of 2 million Greek students who earned High Honors on the NGE, that I was inspired to continue my studies in high school..."  or something like that.    

• Like 2

My son did Latin with Lukeion. I called all the classes Honors as I think they are well known as being rigorous and I felt like they were at an Honors level. 

I had a place for Testing Record on the transcript where I included SAT, AP exams and the National Latin Exams. I listed all 4 Exams with the award given for them each even though his first one was before 9th grade. I know some people don’t putting all that on the transcript but I liked having it all on one page so it was easy for an admission officer to see Courses, Grades, GPA and Test Scores all on one page. 

• Like 2