Menu

Optimum time between pfizer doses

lewelma

I was wondering if the research gurus amongst us could help me figure out what the current research says about the optimum time between covid vax doses (specifically pfizer). I've been reading in the NZ news and hearing on the local podcasts that the UK may be getting better outcomes than other locations because they chose to delay the booster by 8 to 12 weeks (from the recommended 4 week minimum). Has anyone found anything on this that is scientifically sound about pfizer?

https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/national/448786/covid-19-recommended-time-between-vaccine-doses-could-be-extended

Edited by lewelma
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Syllieann said:

One study suggests 8 weeks to be the sweet spot.

https://www.bmj.com/content/374/bmj.n1875

That's a good article. My dh's second dose is Tuesday and with have only a 4 week delay. So he is trying to decide if he wants to move it given that we have no covid here so he is not in any danger. I will send him your link.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, lewelma said:

That's a good article. My dh's second dose is Tuesday and with have only a 4 week delay. So he is trying to decide if he wants to move it given that we have no covid here so he is not in any danger. I will send him your link.

The UK was using 12 weeks before but is now recommending people rebook for eight weeks. 

• Like 3

In another thread on WTM and probably in the news,  I read that they expect the Pfizer/BioNTech COVID-19 vaccine to receive full FDA approval, early in September. That won't help with the answer to this question today, but once it is fully approved they will probably have recommendations about the spacing between the first jab and the 2nd jab.

• Like 1