Menu

Project based learning for DD12

DD12 is way behind in skills. Not for lack of intelligence, but her mental health has precluded good progress. We only got through half of her studies last year. She isn't excited about re-starting, but she never mastered those skills so I don't want to buy "new & shiny" just because she is bored. 

Anyway, I'd like to try some project-based learning with her, but I've never done anything like that. Any good places to start?

She has an SLD in math, slow processing, some dysgraphia. Her other weak subjects are grammar, writing, and spelling. She has some vision issues which make reading a chore, but she reads well, she just can't read for a long time.  

Are you thinking unit studies? Solving problems through projects? Or more just having projects be the output/organizational structure?

If you want the latter, you might check out TOPS units. https://topscience.org/

I haven't used this one, but it looks good: https://www.rfwp.com/book/amazing-ants-simple-sidewalk-science

If she likes drawing at all (even if she doesn't know how), Ellen McHenry's Mapping the World with Art is great--there are many projects in it, it has some history of exploration, and they hand draw maps. The drawing instruction is excellent. She also has some free stuff to try on her site as well that might spark interest. 

Sometimes books like these are fun. I used them a little earlier with a younger child, but combined with other resources (documentaries, for instance), it could still be appropriate for a middle school student: https://www.movingbeyondthepage.com/purchase/sku-detail/2048/great-pioneer-projects-you-can-build-yourself/?gclid=Cj0KCQjw3f6HBhDHARIsAD_i3D-if1sXQEM6pjCn7Spw0WZuV22wrgjTMq8FMwhVWyk9nJlD9N_NTAkaAsTPEALw_wcB

Sometimes for state history, you can find some interesting things at museum bookstores. 

Beyond the Book Report might be good for literature. 

You could also just tackle a time period, science concept, etc. and then try to bring in the academics. Usually you can journal about stuff for writing/grammar, etc. Some kids do well with more concrete writing, such as writing procedures. If you did some science projects, you might have her give directions for someone to do the same project or write about what she'd do different.

Would she enjoy really practical stuff like carpentry, sewing, cooking, gardening, etc.? Maybe she could study specific things, like agricultural zones, native plants, common plant pests, composting, etc. if she is interesting in gardening or landscaping.

If you are thinking about solving an unstructured problem as a project, Royal Fireworks Press has units by Shelagh Gallagher. I haven't used them--I am not sure if they'd work for my kids or not.

Have you looked at Remedia workbooks? They have some really charming ones for math that are context driven. (market math, bargain math, etc.)

If she has diagnosed vision issues affecting her reading, you should be able to get your doctor to sign the paperwork for the National Library Service (BARD). LOVE the NLS.

Edited by PeterPan
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, PeterPan said:

Have you looked at Remedia workbooks? They have some really charming ones for math that are context driven. (market math, bargain math, etc.)

If she has diagnosed vision issues affecting her reading, you should be able to get your doctor to sign the paperwork for the National Library Service (BARD). LOVE the NLS.

This reminds me...https://simplycharlottemason.com/store/your-business-math/   One of my kids did Pet Shop Business Math.

Mine got a lot out of (IMO) actual projects and including as much skill work (and “academics) as possible in them. For example, cooking, gardening, raising bees, a puppy, volunteer work for homeless shelter building...

some “ subjects” like spelling I just let go