Menu

WW2 Documentary/YouTube series as spine

I'm planning a World Wars class for ds2 who will be a junior.  It is a mix of resources, but I'm looking for a WW2 Documentary or YouTube series that covers an overview of WW2 in an engaging way.  It looks like Ken Burns documentary focuses on the homefront.  I'm looking for 12-20 hours of material.  He'll be reading books focusing on special areas of interest for most of the time.

I have not used it. 

I agree that webpage doesn’t show much details. This one may give more info.

https://gpb.pbslearningmedia.org/collection/kenburnsclassroom/film/the-war/

My in-laws liked it, however, they probably aren't the best judge for a class resource.

A quick look shows BBC also has a video series on WW2. Also check this, https://www.thoughtco.com/top-best-world-war-2-documentaries-1221219

• Like 1

DS watched the Ken Burns one last year and liked it pretty well.  It does mostly cover the US involvement, and I think does a good job of balancing the European and the Pacific theaters.  I also liked that it covered the Japanese internment camps and talked about the race issues in the military and at home.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Loowit said:

DS watched the Ken Burns one last year and liked it pretty well.  It does mostly cover the US involvement, and I think does a good job of balancing the European and the Pacific theaters.  I also liked that it covered the Japanese internment camps and talked about the race issues in the military and at home.

That’s very helpful.  I had originally planned to use it but then I wasn’t sure it fit what I needed. 

16 minutes ago, NewnameC said:

I have not used it. 

I agree that webpage doesn’t show much details. This one may give more info.

https://gpb.pbslearningmedia.org/collection/kenburnsclassroom/film/the-war/

My in-laws liked it, however, they probably aren't the best judge for a class resource.

A quick look shows BBC also has a video series on WW2. Also check this, https://www.thoughtco.com/top-best-world-war-2-documentaries-1221219

Thanks!

My ds and I watched the Ken Burns documentary this past spring.  It is excellent and I highly recommend it.  While it does cover the US involvement, it spends a good amount of time on the Pacific theater, in addition to Europe.  They interview several veterans, as well as sisters and friends who were at home and could relate how the war affected them.  They also spend time talking to an American woman who was a child during the war and whose family was in a concentration camp in the Philippines.  I can not recommend the series enough! 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, UHP said:

There's a very good one narrated by Lawrence Oliver from 1973, called "The World at War." The whole thing used to be on youtube but I don't see it there now.

Oh! My library had this one. I’ll look more into it 

5 minutes ago, mjbucks1 said:

My ds and I watched the Ken Burns documentary this past spring.  It is excellent and I highly recommend it.  While it does cover the US involvement, it spends a good amount of time on the Pacific theater, in addition to Europe.  They interview several veterans, as well as sisters and friends who were at home and could relate how the war affected them.  They also spend time talking to an American woman who was a child during the war and whose family was in a concentration camp in the Philippines.  I can not recommend the series enough! 

Great! Thanks for the positive review.