Menu

Latin Centered Curriculum

Luanne

I don't have an exact publication date for the new edition, but the manuscript is in the publisher's hands. At last count they were saying late spring. The new edition has been entirely rewritten. The core idea is the same, of course, but there are so many new resources and so many questions I needed to answer that I ended up writing what is basically a whole new book.

Luanne, you can also check out the links in my signature below for more LCC-related resources. The LatinClassicalEd list has the most active discussions; the latincentered.com site has a lot of articles, including day-in-the-life pieces from families that use the book.

I'm sure you'll get responses from other LCC-ers as well; there are quite a few here. :)

I just read this book! It was very interesting and enjoyable...I learned alot about 'traditional' vs 'neo' classical education.

As far as application (sorry PlaidDad!) it's just not for 'our' family. ;) I do, however, keep in mind the idea of Multum Non Multa as I find that very valuable!

But then again, in reality, most everyone adopts *some* ideas from a method and mesh it with *some* ideas from another...so maybe there are a few tidbits from the book that ARE for us. :D

After experiencing a great deal of frustration with the neo-classical model, parts of which never set well with me from the very beginning, I finally read LCC at the end of 2006. I felt completely liberated!

I had concerns that our neo-classical model was still too institutionalized in its thinking and that our education, while impressive on paper, was in reality superficial because of the sheer volume of the material we were covering and the speed that was necessary to cover it all. I found myself rushing through material and actually discouraging discussion because we needed to move on to the next thing. LCC changed all that. We moved Latin front and center and dropped the 4-yr history cycle. I instantly felt a HUGE burden lifted off of me. Homeschooling went from an overwhelming frustration and burden to a true joy. We are thriving in and loving our LCC homeschool!

I had concerns that our neo-classical model was still too institutionalized in its thinking and that our education, while impressive on paper, was in reality superficial because of the sheer volume of the material we were covering and the speed that was necessary to cover it all. I found myself rushing through material and actually discouraging discussion because we needed to move on to the next thing.

Yes, yes! Neo-classical can be *very* institutionalized, I so agree with you... :D

I'm just in the homeschool planning stages right now for next school year. The kids are currently attending a private Catholic school, but want to be homeschooled. I've read TWTM and would like to read LCC, but am wondering if I should wait until the new release comes out and just spend time reading the website, blog and other stuff on the Internet. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Melissa

dd 9 (4th), ds 7 (2nd), dd 5 (PK4)

I would wait to buy the new edition, but the old edition is available in a number of public libraries. Perhaps you could get it through ILL? If not, then the articles on the web site will give you a good idea of how the curriculum works. I'd start with the FAQ and go from there. You'd also be welcome at the LatinClassicalEd list (see my signature for a link).

I bought it when it first came out, and although we are not running a LCC homeschool, it gave me a lot of gems that I use every day (especially making Latin and math the priority subjects because they're so pivotal!). I plan to buy the revision sometime down the road when I can.

Grrr, too bad I didn't see this before I ordered LCC last week. I even have the original from the LatinClassicalEd list, but wanted to get a copy I could page through (and support Drew of course). I hadn't really been on the boards lately (I'm getting out of the Navy next month, but I'll be going back to school and my Mom just said last week that she'd homeschool the kids for me, and that she doesn't think we need a program like Calvert to do it!), and I only read LCE sporadically, so I didn't know there was an update. Guess I'll add that to my list. I'm sure I could return it and wait, but I've never felt right about doing something like that when it was my mistake, KWIM?

Missy

we follow the basics of LCC - and it really relieved a lot of stress for me. I have not ditched chrono. history exactly, but it does not get the same emphasis as I felt I had to give it before I read LCC. I value WTM b/c it is what convinced me I could indeed homeschool my kids all the way if we decide to, but LCC helped me to realize it did not have to be as hard as I was making it :) Anne Marie

we follow the basics of LCC - and it really relieved a lot of stress for me. I have not ditched chrono. history exactly, but it does not get the same emphasis as I felt I had to give it before I read LCC. I value WTM b/c it is what convinced me I could indeed homeschool my kids all the way if we decide to, but LCC helped me to realize it did not have to be as hard as I was making it :) Anne Marie

Yeah, what she said!