Menu

When to add in foreign language

When do you begin learning foreign language?  It’s not my strength but my kids, mainly 10 and 12 year olds have some interest. I’m not sure if it’s beneficial to begin now or wait until high school focusing on expanding math, writing and grammar skills now. 

We did Getting Started With Latin with a 9 and 11 year old. They "got" it pretty solidly and enjoyed it! Neither of them were super interested in continuing after finished GSWL though, and neither of them have particularly excelled at any of the foreign languages they've tried since then although that may have been the teachers. If they have some interest, it's not a bad idea to get started now, but in a more fun, low-stakes way like an app or one of the Getting Started With... books. Then if they lose interest, you haven't shelled out for an expensive curriculum, and if they retain their interest, they'll have a good intro to a more thorough program next year or the year after!

10 and 12 is a great age if you/ they are interested and are able to put in the time.   It would give them a chance to get an idea of what they want to work on language wise in high school.  The Getting Started books are easy to implement.  Duolingo is also easy to implement and it will give you/them a taste of a language and if the kids are motivated and want to learn more, you can go from there.   I have more suggestions but they are more expensive require a bit more to implement.   Once you have an idea of where you want to go and what language your kids might be interested in pursuing you can go from there.   

Edited by ealp2009

Those ages are great because they have a firm foundation in English to help understand the grammar of another language. And if they are interested even better. 

There really is no right timing. Any age can learn a second language. Different ages just provide different experiences and outcomes..

Word roots—as soon as they can read well.

Actual foreign language study?  

Exposure to native accents should start as early as possible.  Beyond that it depends mostly on what you have available to you.  It’s more easily caught than taught via a curriculum, so if you have local immersion lessons with a native speaker start as early as you can, but it you’re doing academic study of a dead language then you start when the curriculum says.