Menu

AP Physics Online

32 minutes ago, happyhome said:

So is the correct order Physics 1, 2, C?? He doesn’t want to be an engineer. He just loves all things science. He’s in Calc BC right now. What’s the right starting point for a comprehensive, rigorous physics overview with no college credit needed?

You do not need to do AP 1 and 2 before doing C. You just need to do mecahnics 1 before e&m

If he is in BC, I would have him take calc based physics 1 mechanics (which would be AP C mech if he chooses to do it for credit), and then calc based physics 2 electricity&magnetism (AP C e&m).

ETA: To clarify: if a course is called "engineering physics" that would be the same as "calculus based university physics" or "physics for scientists and engineers". It's not actually engineering specific - it's just the distinction from the algebra based college physics for life science majors

Edited by regentrude

2 hours ago, regentrude said:

You do not need to do AP 1 and 2 before doing C. You just need to do mecahnics 1 before e&m

If he is in BC, I would have him take calc based physics 1 mechanics (which would be AP C mech if he chooses to do it for credit), and then calc based physics 2 electricity&magnetism (AP C e&m).

ETA: To clarify: if a course is called "engineering physics" that would be the same as "calculus based university physics" or "physics for scientists and engineers". It's not actually engineering specific - it's just the distinction from the algebra based college physics for life science majors

Got it!! Okay, lots to think about here. I'll be going over the options with him this week. Thanks all!!

On 5/9/2021 at 9:30 AM, regentrude said:

Another comment: I saw the Rice course uses the open stax textbook. Do your student a favor and buy a used old edition of a regular text for them to study from..

OpenStax is free but awful; when I previewed the calc based physics text, I found several severe mistakes within ten minutes of cursory browsing. (They do make corrections for errors that are submitted, so it may have improved somewhat, but real textbooks can be had for under $10.)

I just realized that PA Homeschoolers’ Jack Kernion’s AP Physics C uses the OpenStax Rice text.

7 hours ago, calbear said:

PA Homeschoolers' Jack Kernion offers all of his course without live meetings in a self-paced format here: https://www.physics-prep.com/

It's $175 for one year license.

This is what my son is doing this year. AP exam isn't until next month, though, so I can't how well it's working (he's been doing it pretty much totally independently). He doesn't love it, but I don't think he'd love any physics; it's just not his thing. So far he says he's doing fine with all the AP review and practice stuff he's doing alongside finishing the course, so I figure that's a good sign.

1 hour ago, kokotg said:

This is what my son is doing this year. AP exam isn't until next month, though, so I can't how well it's working (he's been doing it pretty much totally independently). He doesn't love it, but I don't think he'd love any physics; it's just not his thing. So far he says he's doing fine with all the AP review and practice stuff he's doing alongside finishing the course, so I figure that's a good sign.

Is test prep built into the course? 

1 hour ago, Roadrunner said:

Is test prep built into the course? 

My son took Kernion's physics C last year, and I wouldn't say it felt like there was "specific" prep, if that makes sense. If you watch the lectures and do the tests, quizzes, and assignments on his site, you should have the knowledge necessary to take the AP. That said, my son liked having official test prep with College Board materials on the side. Any prep book or previous exams would be plenty to supplement for the prep piece if you have a student that wants more practice.

• Like 1

On 5/19/2021 at 8:53 AM, stripe said:

I just realized that PA Homeschoolers’ Jack Kernion’s AP Physics C uses the OpenStax Rice text.

My son just started the self paced class with the Halliday book as his spine. We'll see how it goes. So far he's really liking the format.

• Like 1