Menu

Kilt pattern for Boys?

My ds of 7 wants a kilt for Christmas. He's a really manly man and totally dislikes anything that reeks of girl. But, he wants a Kilt to go along with his new Scottish accent he's trying to pick up.....for next years Highland Games.

Uh, he also wants a stuffed Loch Ness Monster...

Anyone with a pattern number or an online source? (I refuse to pay $70 for 1/2 yard of cloth and elastic.

I've never made a kilt, but I have had several made for me. You do know that the depth of the pleats will vary depending upon the design of the tartan? I think that when a boy/man wears a kilt, he should also wear a sporran? There are some Scottish residents on this board who could probably tell you more.

I don't know your son's size, but it may take more fabric than you are expecting -- the pleats on a kilt are quite deep. But the upside is that these things are unwrinkle-able and virtually indestructible (if made of good cloth. Also since they attach with buckles on the sides, kilts cover several sizes, and can grow with a child. I wore the same kilt from 5th grade into college.

Edited by Alessandra

Check out the Utilikilts website. (Warning: some crude language)

It isn't what you are looking for, but my sons love it when my dH (of Scottish descent) wears his kilt to work! I want to make one for my son but have not made he pattern yet. The idea of doing one in cammo or "carhart" fabric for everyday use is popular here (the Pacific Northwest). You see a few guys wearing them at every grocery store :)

I made them for my boys one year, as dress clothes. I got cheap fabric that was woven, not printed, in a plaid. It wasn't 100% wool. Then I followed some xeroxed directions for making a kilt. (You should be able to find directions on the internet.) The basic kilt was fairly simple, but it took quite a while to get the pleats tacked into place so they lay right. I actually bought enough fabric to make kilts with proper deep pleats, not kilt-skirts with shallow pleats, and I was very glad I did. They could slide down banisters decently in them, among numerous other activities.

Check out the Utilikilts website. (Warning: some crude language)

It isn't what you are looking for, but my sons love it when my dH (of Scottish descent) wears his kilt to work! I want to make one for my son but have not made he pattern yet. The idea of doing one in cammo or "carhart" fabric for everyday use is popular here (the Pacific Northwest). You see a few guys wearing them at every grocery store :)

I think they look great!

I read somewhere that the kilt originally was just a length of cloth that was used as both a blanket at night and a garment during the day. The description of the phillabeg or little kilt here sounds like what I've read and heard before. It really depends on why you want the kilt. If it's just for dressing up in Scottish style, this would work and you could probably find directions for how to wrap it. (I've found them online before, but don't have time to look now.) If your ds does Highland Dance, it won't work for that. Oldest ds has his dance kilt--one of those "cheap" $70 ones--in his keepsake box. They don't have as much fabric and aren't as nice, but they were a lot more affordable than a regular kilt.

Are you still looking for a kilt pattern? Here is one: http://users.telenet.be/jbruyndonckx/kilt_making1.html

I had a set of directions that was a lot briefer than this, and I managed. I think the fabric came from Walmart. You will need a ton of safty pins to hold the pleats in place until you get them sewn down. I used a regular man's kilt pattern, even for the smallest of my boys. I got two kilts out of one length of fabric because they were short kilts. I cut the fabric into two pieces the whole length of the fabric, so I had two narrower (but plenty long enough for my short boys) but still very long pieces. It wasn't hard; it was just finicky work. I took the time to fit them perfectly, though. If you were a little less persnickity about the fit around the hips, you could do it faster.

HTH

-Nan

Back to Basics Toys has Junior Bagpipes for only $49.99 if he needs something to go along with his accent and kilt for the Highland Games.

They have such great stuff in that catalog! I was looking at that and the trumpet, but decided to go with something more, er, silent!

But the pipes really play and come with instructinal finger chart and songbook.