Menu

Catholic Curriculum for School System

If you were to implement a specifically Catholic curriculum into a large Catholic school system, what would you use?  pre-K-12th.

I'm looking for BOTH boxed and subject specific Catholic options.  BUT if it's a close Christian or neutral, I'd be all ears.  Nothing anti-Church.

Trying to think outside the traditional brick-and-mortar school curriculum.  I think St. Jerome Academy and St. Anges are intriguing for K-8th, and it doesn't need to be full-throttle classical like a Chesterton Academy, 9-12th.

If you have links to specific schools or threads that do what you'd like to see or talk about these issues, please include them below.

These ideas may land on open ears so this is an exercise with a positive end-goal.  

Who wants to play?

My question is two-fold:

If you could implement a specific Catholic (or at least not anti-Catholic) curriculum into a Catholic school system, what would it be?  Perhaps more broadly crossed with specific educational pedagogy instead of a specific curriculum, like classical, montessori, etc., like the links to schools listed above.

And, do you have any individual, subject-specific (or boxed) Catholic curriculum options that could replace what is currently used?

So, MoDG, Kolbe, and Angelicum are good suggestions so I can explore what they use as a whole, and their scope & sequence. 

CTProject and Novare are good suggestions for the individual subjects.

I hope this is clearer...I'd love to hear what you all think.  Thank you!  

19 hours ago, Syllieann said:

I'd like to see Catholic Schools Textbook Project for social studies and Novare for science.

Are you referring to the Novare science put out by CAP? I didn't think CAP was Catholic.  I'll take a look....  Thanks!

Just now, ChrisB said:

Are you referring to the Novare science put out by CAP? I didn't think CAP was Catholic.  I'll take a look....  Thanks!

Novare started as its own company, but was later purchased by CAP.  CAP has said they won't be changing the aims of the line.  Novare is Christian, by which I mean it should be acceptable to most mainline Protestants as well as Catholic and Orthodox users.  It is not young earth, so some evangelicals may take issue with it.

Tan homeschool is putting out some stuff.  They are working on an elementary science line that looks promising.  You may also want to browse their recommendations for other ideas.

• Like 1

I like CHC's Behold and See science, especially if you do all the experiments and projects. I also like CHC's hands-on geography stuff and their hands-on religion program supplements, like Preparing to Receive Jesus, Growing with Grace and Wisdom, etc. Their Language of God is also fairly good but might move too slowly for some; but again this is something where doing all the dictation assignments and extra writing practice (included) helps with that. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
34 minutes ago, ChrisB said:

Thanks, very good to know!  I'll take a look at CHC.  I wonder how their gentle approach would work in a school setting...

It's really not *that* gentle except in the earliest levels, and it does ramp up in the later grades. We add to it (like Latin and Greek) but we did not get to everything scheduled for 5th grade this year. I think sometimes when providers aim for maximum "rigor" they end up including everything and the kitchen sink, and in real life schools don't cover it all. I know I've heard that MP schools (highlands latin etc) don't do more than the first problem or two in a given workbook together on the board or orally. But if you were to look at what MP schedules, it's way more than a classroom could do in a day or week. But again, I don't know how that would scale in a B&M school. I think personally that CHC is a realistic level of work to get through in a week, but we don't use it exactly as written so anyone else's mileage may vary.

• Like 1

CHC defies categorization; it is really an eclectic mix. There's a little Charlotte Mason (some dictation, and lots of storytelling in lessons, like How to Dress a Duck, or actually reprinted victorian-era stories for virtues). There's a lot of "school at home" or traditional school-like stuff, with workbooks and textbooks, including using standards from other publishers like Faith and Life, and the Catholic Textbook Project. Religion is woven throughout, and even some apologetics in the spellers. There's an intention to make things hands on, like Tour a Country. And there's an intention to bring religion to life through stories and beautiful art: Kids make mass books, cut out images for a psalms booklet or a "days of creation" booklet. The art program Ever Ancient Ever New books 1 and 2 is the best I've seen anywhere - it has glossy full color picture study, art theory, art history, and technique, along with projects for each chapter. I haven't seen anything else like it. 

So yeah, it's a mix. They have interactive grade level catalogs you can flip through online. 

On 4/28/2021 at 4:08 PM, ChrisB said:
I'm looking for BOTH boxed and subject specific Catholic options.  BUT if it's a close Christian or neutral, I'd be all ears.  Nothing anti-Church.

I don't know what you mean by "boxed."