Menu

Healthy dog treat recipe? (cookie style)

Tap

After buying 4 brands of expensive dog treats, I have found the one thing our goldendoodle is fussy about. If it is human food, she will scarf it down in a second. Dog food.....not so much. LOL Of the ones we have tried, 2 were Blue Buffalo, 1 Canidae and another I can't remember (American Journey maybe?). I was buying treats with meat ingredients but she only seems to like her peanut butter cookies LOL. If I buy the cheap ones like peanut butter flavored Buddy Buscuits she devours them, so I thought maybe I would have dd14 try to make her some peanut butter treats. 

Any recipes that are actually healthy for dogs? I can't stop dd from giving her several each day, so they have to have a relatively high protein count.  

Make very sure that you do not use any peanut butter product that has xylitol in it (xylitol is toxic to dogs).  You might consider a peanut butter powder like this one, if you want to cut down on fat.                                                                                                               https://smile.amazon.com/Premium-Powdered-Peanut-Butter-Farms/dp/B00NQLE5JC/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?dchild=1&keywords=peanut+butter+powder+unsweetened&qid=1619107499&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUE4OVNQV0tQSDlLOFomZW5jcnlwdGVkSWQ9QTA4NjUyNDkzNEFYWVdRTDcxSVA5JmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTA1NDcyMzkxR1NQNTVQNDFLRkM1JndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfYXRmJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

There are MANY peanut butter dog treat recipes out there, and I can't say that I have ever used a cookie cutter type recipe, but making dog treats is easy.  I make dog treats for my dog that has a sensitive stomach by grinding up his regular food to a powder and mixing with egg and chicken baby food and some rice or oatmeal baby food and water to get the consistency I like.  I bake in a mold like this to get small training treats https://smile.amazon.com/Palksky-468-Cavity-Silicone-Chocolate-Decoration/dp/B07Z4PNBM6/ref=sr_1_14?dchild=1&keywords=dog+treat+mold&qid=1619107957&sr=8-14

Here is a very simple recipe to consider for roll-out treats:    https://damndelicious.net/2015/01/07/homemade-peanut-butter-dog-treats/

Boiled skinless chicken breast cut into cubes also makes a healthy high protein treat.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Scarlett said:

I made one for my dog that was peanut butter, sweet potato.....and I can't remember the third ingredient!  But it was so simple and healthy and actually GOOD. Yes, I tried it.  I am going to try and find the recipe and I will report back.

Peanut butter, oatmeal (blended fine) and pureed sweet potatoes.   

Here is the recipe.  This one is no bake but I baked mine.  Rolled out think and scored ....Low heat....about 300 for 30 minutes. Cut into small pieces once they are cooled. Should be crisp.

Edited by Scarlett