Menu

Implementing Apples & Pear Spelling

Does anyone have any tips on how to break up the Apples & Pear spelling pages?  

We are 2/3rds through book A, and currently a level is typically 3 sides long.  As many people have commented in the past, it's a lot of writing.  So, I'm not opposed to breaking up the lesson throughout the day or over a couple of days.  However, I feel like momentum builds as you progress through the activities each lesson/level.  So, if I just do half of the activities on day 1, all that momentum is lost on day 2 and are faced with the spelling words and dictation sentences at the end.

If anyone has figured out a multi-day routine that works for them, I'd love to hear about it.  Thanks.

31 minutes ago, BusyMom5 said:

Do a set amount of time each day rather than looking at pages and lessons.  20-30 minutes per day is plenty. 

Right ... so then how do I efficiently rebuild the momentum if we stopped at section 6 out of 9, right when it gets hard and is the “test” section?  

I’m using A&P with a dyslexic student, if that matters. 

1 hour ago, countrymum said:

I had trouble with the same thing....I never did figure it out. I don't know how to tag people, but 8filltheheart might have an idea.

Put an “@“ before their name @8filltheheart  @8filltheheart

but, hmmm, I’m currently on my phone and  it’s not turning blue like on my computer. I’ll try anyways.   (I had to turn my phone horizontally to get it to work.)

Edited by domestic_engineer

I understand what you are saying. I started using apples and pears this year with my 5th grader. Book A was pretty easy for her and we could usually do a whole lesson in one day without her becoming fatigued. In book B I usually split it right before the test words and sentences. She does loose some momentum, as you point out, but I find as long as we don't go more than one day between lessons she is able to retain enough to be successful with her sentences. So I try not to split the lesson between a Friday and a Monday. 

• Thanks 1