Menu

Thinking I made a huge mistake on my son's science this year (long rant)

Annabel Lee

For starters, I just heard of and read WTM this summer. My ds7 was in ps for 1st grade, although the last semester I homeschooled him half-days for his LA and math. They were doing life science (bits of zoology/human body/botany) in that class. While mapping out where to start this year in homeschool for both of my sons (the other is in K), I just decided to start at the beginning of the trivium so I could cover life science more thoroughly. Also, it was a matter of logistics - I wanted to combine what I could for my 2 sons, and since 1st grade is the "WTM recommended" age for beginning life sci. and each of my boys is only 1 year off from that, I figured that was a good middle ground for them to share. I wanted to streamline for my own sanity and so we wouldn't be "doing school" all. day. long.

All that to get to my point, which is that now I'm feeling like my older son could have just moved on to the next level. He loves science and is very inquisitive. I'm feeling like I've messed things up for both sons, as the younger K'er seems to get very little out of it. Same goes for history for him. It's too late to switch what we're doing now. Even if I did, I could only move my older son up in science, because my younger hasn't covered life science yet. Switching seems daunting and like something I don't want to think about at all. I'm just having some big doubts for the 1st time really, lamenting my decision out loud here, that's all.

It will be okay. I promise :)

First of all, it does not matter, really, in what order you do science. WTM has a nice plan laid out, but it will not at all hurt anyone's science education to do it in a different order. Many of us are not following WTM order, or WTM recommendations, for science.

Secondly, it's really not too late to change what you're doing. Absolutely not! What makes you feel that it is?

You say you just read WTM this summer. One problem many people seem to have when starting WTM is that they get caught up in the trappings, and overlook the philosophy and theory. The trappings are things like notebooks, specific recommendations, the science rotation, trying to "get it all done" in a "school year," etc. Most important with WTM is the philosophy behind it, and the emphasis on strong fundamentals. But you have to apply what you've learned in WTM to fit your students, your homeschool.

I'm offering the above as my experience with many new WTMers. I can't tell from your post if it applies to you, but I'm guessing it might. At any rate, IMO, science isn't something to stress about. It'll be okay. Find something that *does* fit your kids, and go with it!

When I first started homeschooling my kids I thought I needed to stay on the public schools schedule - until I found out that what they teach changes from state to state and school to school! So, decided I'd do my own thing. My goal in elementary science was to simply get them exposed to the different sciences. Learning about life science is fun at a younger age and can be very hands-on. Kids can change in their abilities - even mid-year, so though you can change what you are doing, I would keep at it - unless your older child is bored silly.

You have a lot of time to get in all this good science, so don't worry about it all right now. Believe me, there's not much you can do to damage future learning at this age - especially in science. I have two teenagers now and sometimes they remember what we did in 3rd grade and other times it's like new information! One thing they do retain is when any learning is linked with activities. They will never forget learning about ancient history with SOTW and the activities we did. They also remember their science with Apologia Elem. science and the activities. I would stress lots of hands-on stuff. You can find so many resources for this when they are younger, but not so much as they get older.

Enjoy and remember that TWTM is meant to be digested over many years and tailored to fit your family. If it helps, I remember reading an article SWB wrote about writing her book and how she never wanted to put schedules in the book - something the editor had her do. She reminded us that even she would have a hard time doing everything listed in their schedules. You'll learn what works for you and what you need to change. I've always used the WTM as a guide - I read it at the start of every year (the appropriate chapters) and keep it all in mind as I make my own schedule and pick curriculum.

Arctic, I usually get those feelings mid-year, and it can be two things. One, my dd has usually just had a growth spurt, and I'm suddenly seeing how much more she can do. It doesn't mean I've done something wrong in the past, just that it's time to up the ante for the future. Two, it's a sign that it's time to start planning for next year. If your current year is going fine (schedule is do-able and your dc are happy), then don't change anything! Use your new ideas and energy to start planning next year. Now is the perfect time. See you can think about your ideas and goals now, research them in January and February, when the weather is bad, then buy in the spring and be ready to implement come summer! That's what I always do, and I think lots of people do. You can even get mid-year doldrums and just be plain BORED. Are you doing anything for yourself? Now that your year is going well, suddenly you realize YOU have time for more. That doesn't mean you're doing something wrong for your dc, just is a sign to add in something for yourself.

If your dc are happy and thriving, you're doing enough. This is your first year and they're young. You're NOT screwing them up! If your 7 yo is asking for more science (is he??) THEN I would add in some more of whatever he's wanting. There's no reason why you couldn't add in some more science for him and still let him tag along with the 5 yo. Maybe make what you're doing with the 5 yo more informal (read alouds, usborne books, nature walks, etc.). Just don't stress. You aren't behind and can't be behind! Most kids that age just want to have fun. Now come 3rd grade, my dd really wanted to do chemistry. So that's something to keep in mind for next year. And this year in 4th she's been really into physics. It just so happens that the WTM's suggestion for chem in 3rd and physics in 4th lined up with what she was interested in. But the world does NOT end if you miss that or even skip a year of the 4 year cycle. Whatever you do will be fine, honest.

Your son will be fine! Next year, move up with him and repeat or move slowly with your younger. I was going to do NOEO with both of my kids this year...but the level I stuff is still too much for my younger. In time, he will get there...but, for now, my older is enjoying it. And it is definitely not as much as it could be had I chosen level II, but it is plenty...and a lot more than he would ever learn at this age in ps. Some kids in ps do not even really do Science until 5ht or 6th grade...my son's school didn't!

All that to get to my point, which is that now I'm feeling like my older son could have just moved on to the next level. He loves science and is very inquisitive. I'm feeling like I've messed things up for both sons, as the younger K'er seems to get very little out of it.

Almost every homeschooler wonders, once a year or so, if they have chosen the wrong thing. We tweak, in part because we learn and grow, in part because our kids do. It's just what we do, and it's okay.

I found that I was not able to actually use the same books with more than one child, even though all four of our school age kids are two years and nine months apart from each other. I keep my sanity by staying together on the same topic. Then I give kids books that are on their own levels. For example, I'd read a very simple book out loud to the 5yo while the 7yo works through a project, then have the 7yo explain an experiment to him, then have them each make a notebook page. For the 5yo that would just be a drawing. For the 7yo, there'd be a sentence.

Science is an "extra" for the 5 and 7yo crowd.

My 5yo just listens to me read on and on about whatever book he finds that day (typically dinosaurs/fossils, wild animals, insects, and occasionally the human body if it has pics of bones). He runs and explores our backyard thoroughly, and that is science for us. :)

And the rule of thumb is that you teach to the oldest child and let the little ones come along.

If you follow TWTM format, you're going to go through the whole cycle at least 2 more times, yes? You'll catch then whatever is not taught now. I wouldn't worry about it for a nanosecond.

:D