Menu

Any great zoology finds? 🙂

SilverMoon

My youngest really wants to do zoology for science next year. He'll be 11 and in 5th grade for '21-'22. Strong reader, high interest in the technical details of everything, thinks he's allergic to writing 😄 He's read a large portion of The New Way Things Work (Macaulay) this year and loves discussing it. 

No Apologia, Master Books, or Memoria Press. Just not our thing. 

Science Buddies -- hands-on ideas
Specific zoology demonstrations and hands-on activities for middle school grades.

Easy Peasy: Zoology gr. 5-8 -- lesson plans/ideas
180 days of lesson plans that you could glean from for ideas -- the lesson plans include links to: videos, readings, activities etc.

National Geographic Animal Encyclopedia -- possible spine
gr. 3-7. Below the technical level you are looking for, BUT this could be nice as a spine, and go deeper from here. It starts with some very short (1-2 page), but very nice overview topics of: 
- animal kingdom
- life cycle and babies
- senses and communication
- homes and habitats
- migration
- adaptations for survival
- endangered; conservationism
covers: mammals, birds, reptiles, amphibians, fish, invertebrates

Smithsonian Natural History: The Ultimate Visual Guide to Everything on Earth -- possible very general spine
gr. 4-8. Coffee table type of book that you get just for the images. 😉 You could use this as a very very general spine, have DS look at animals, decide on an animal kingdom group he wants to focus on, and then go deeper with specific books, documentaries, and other resources. It is 2-page spreads of:
- living earth (~25 pages)
- minerals/rocks/fossils (~50 pages)
- microscopic life (15 pages)
- plants (~100 pages)
- fungi (~35 pages)
- animals (~ 380 pages) -- invertebrates, fish, amphibians, reptiles, birds, mammals

Zoobooks magazines - info on very specific species
gr. 4-6 -- so it may be below his reading level and overall interest level, BUT there is some really fascinating specific science/tech details about each animal since each issue is only about one particular species; worth a look at the sample pages to see what you think:
- see sample pages -- there is online material to go with the monthly issues
- used "box lot" of issues for about $3.25/issue -- that would give you almost 1 different species/week, and you could cover 

If you need a higher level text, it looks like McGraw-Hill's Integrated Principles of Zoology is the standard text for high school Zoology. I can't find any "see inside samples", but there are numerous editions out there, so if you need lower cost, there are used old editions out there. 😉

Wingspan - game, supplement
TOTALLY just a yummy supplement, but we are REALLY enjoying this one right now! 😄 

Edited by Lori D.
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Haanz said:

Emily at Build Your Library is replacing her Level 7 science with zoology this summer. She has a YouTube video linked here discussing it.

https://buildyourlibrary.com/update-schedule-and-news/

I have BYL 7, with Elemental's chemistry, so I think we'll get the update free when it's completed. The books in that video look pretty fabulous though! 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Haanz said:

Emily at Build Your Library is replacing her Level 7 science with zoology this summer. She has a YouTube video linked here discussing it.

https://buildyourlibrary.com/update-schedule-and-news/

This is great news - I’ll definitely check this out! 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Lori D. said:

Science Buddies -- hands-on ideas
Specific zoology demonstrations and hands-on activities for middle school grades.

Easy Peasy: Zoology gr. 5-8 -- lesson plans/ideas
180 days of lesson plans that you could glean from for ideas -- the lesson plans include links to: videos, readings, activities etc.

National Geographic Animal Encyclopedia -- possible spine
gr. 3-7. Below the technical level you are looking at, BUT this could be nice as a spine, and go deeper from here. It starts with some very short (1-2 page), but very nice overview topics of: 
- animal kingdom
- life cycle and babies
- senses and communication
- homes and habitats
- migration
- adaptations for survival
- endangered; conservationism
covers: mammals, birds, reptiles, amphibians, fish, invertebrates

Smithsonian Natural History: The Ultimate Visual Guide to Everything on Earth -- possible very general spine
gr. 4-8. Coffee table type of book that you get just for the images. 😉 You could use this as a very very general spine, have DS look at animals, decide on an animal kingdom group he wants to focus on, and then go deeper with specific books, documentaries, and other resources. It is 2-page spreads of:
- living earth (~25 pages)
- minerals/rocks/fossils (~50 pages)
- microscopic life (15 pages)
- plants (~100 pages)
- fungi (~35 pages)
- animals (~ 380 pages) -- invertebrates, fish, amphibians, reptiles, birds, mammals

Zoobooks magazines - info on very specific species
gr. 4-6 -- so it may be below his reading level and overall interest level, BUT there is some really fascinating specific science/tech details about each animal since each issue is only about one particular species; worth a look at the sample pages to see what you think:
- see sample pages -- there is online material to go with the monthly issues
- used "box lot" of issues for about $3.25/issue -- that would give you almost 1 different species/week, and you could cover 

If you need a higher level text, it looks like McGraw-Hill's Integrated Principles of Zoology is the standard text for high school Zoology. I can't find any "see inside samples", but there are numerous editions out there, so if you need lower cost, there are used old editions out there. 😉

Wingspan - game, supplement
TOTALLY just a yummy supplement, but we are REALLY enjoying this one right now! 😄 

Ohmygosh Lori D. lists are my favorite. 🥰😁 After hunting all my usual places I think we'll be building this one, and this is a fabulous place to start. ♥ I'ma click everything in just a minute. 

(It's a little weird that there aren't more well rounded zoology options out there for upper elementary/early middle by now. I know.. biology and all that, but still. 😄

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, SilverMoon said:

...I think we'll be building this one, and this is a fabulous place to start.... It's a little weird that there aren't more well rounded zoology options out there for upper elementary/early middle by now...

Zoology looks like such a FUN one to build yourself for that age! Enjoy! And post again when you have a rough list of what you're thinking of going with. I LOVE seeing other people's DIY plans! 😄 

10 minutes ago, Lori D. said:

Also, what about an Outschool Zoology course? Or do a few of their "1-off" classes for fun and variety? Or use the list of topics covered as a springboard for DIY?

My big kids never really cared for these so I never think of them, but this kid would probably love it. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, SilverMoon said:

My big kids never really cared for these so I never think of them, but this kid would probably love it. 

Yes, I'm thinking that a few of those 1-time classes on a very specific topic of zoology or on a specific animal, would be fun and add spice -- esp. if things have not yet opened up from the pandemic.

And when things do open up, a fun field trip would be to go do the "behind the scenes tour" at your local zoo. Or arrange a tour and talk at a wildlife refugee or bird aviary. Oo! Or get the field guide for birds and go on some nature walks with binoculars and do some bird observing. 😄 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, fourisenough said:

Aim Academy has a 1-semester Zoology course for middle school, if you’re open to an online class. We’re taking the same teacher’s Botany/Human Anatomy course this semester.

Oo! -- it looks like the teacher is using this book: Smithsonian: Animal The Definitive Visual Guide to the World's Wildlife as the text, which is the animal-only expanded version of the Smithsonian Natural History book I linked above. So if going DIY, maybe use that instead, if the originally linked book looked useful... 😉

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The National Geographic and last Smithsonian book in Lori's last post are on a Prime truck headed this way. ❤️ He really pushed for the NG one, but being the child that memorized every random fact from Wild Kratz and Attenborough documentaries... the more advanced one is coming along. (I'm pretty tempted by that high school textbook for reference/research too.) An encyclopedia spine and a pile of books on the side is what he's done for physics and history this year with BYL and it feels cozy to him. 

We've already been checking out a local riparian preserve on low people days; we saw a spoonbill last time! I mentioned the zoo and he's ready to go today. I think the zoo pass also gives us a discount to the aquarium, and it's been ages since we've been to the Audubon. We live in a good area for animal trips thankfully. 👍

Between Disney+ and Netflix we should have plenty fresh documentaries. 

Book books so far:
-everything on the BYL video upthread
-National Geographic Book of Animal Poetry (lower level but I think he'll enjoy it)
-buddy read some of the thicker Sy Montgomery books
-.... tbd

Output:
diy animal field guide
I'll come up with something. 😂

I'll sign him up for a small Outschool class to and hand him a ZooBook to see how he connects with them. 👍

Edited by SilverMoon
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, SilverMoon said:

The National Geographic and last Smithsonian book in Lori's last post are on a Prime truck headed this way. ❤️ He really pushed for the NG one, but being the child that memorized every random fact from Wild Kratz and Attenborough documentaries... the more advanced one is coming along. (I'm pretty tempted by that high school textbook for reference/research too.) An encyclopedia spine and a pile of books on the side is what he's done for physics and history this year with BYL and it feels cozy to him. 

We've already been checking out a local riparian preserve on low people days; we saw a spoonbill last time! I mentioned the zoo and he's ready to go today. I think the zoo pass also gives us a discount to the aquarium, and it's been ages since we've been to the Audubon. We live in a good area for animal trips thankfully. 👍

Between Disney+ and Netflix we should have plenty fresh documentaries. 

Book books so far:
-everything on the BYL video upthread
-National Geographic Book of Animal Poetry (lower level but I think he'll enjoy it)
-buddy read some of the thicker Sy Montgomery books
-.... tbd

Output:
diy animal field guide
I'll come up with something. 😂

I'll sign him up for a small Outschool class to and hand him a ZooBook to see how he connects with them. 👍

Love it!

I didn't realize you were also looking at bringing in Literature... 😄

fiction readers, touching on zoology/animals -- some are on the young side for him:
- My Side of the Mountain (and sequels) (George) - various animals
- Charlie's Raven (George) - raven
- Gentle Ben (Morey) - brown bear
- Owls in the Family (Mowat) - owls
- Rascal (North) - raccoon
- Kildee House (Montgomery) - various forest animals
- The Wheel on the (DeJong) - storks
- The Dolphins and Me (Reed) - dolphin training
- Evolution of Calpurnia Tate, and The Curious World of Calpurnia Tate (Kelly) -- more of a budding naturalist than zoologist, but still, a great look at basic scientific principles of observation...

read aloud:
- My Family and Other Animals (Durrell) - boyhood memoir of discovering plants, insects, animals on the Greek island of Corfu

maybe a feature film or two, to go along with your documentaries?
- Never Cry Wolf
- Fly Away Home

And, if birds are of high interest... ahem... still pitching the very cool (with actual facts!) board game of Wingspan... 😉

LOVE your DIY Animal Field Guide! And for hands-on which may also be projects for output, I just saw this: 
Zoology for Kids: Understanding and Working with Animals with 21 Activities

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 1

The Wheel on the School by DeJong is very charming. I second that one.

And it’s not really about animals, but I think The Wind in the Willows is a great animal book — and you can dole it out in occasional chapters, as it’s episodic. I think the chapter about the yearning to migrate in the fall is quite interesting. 

By the way Lori D., there’s now a Wingspan app! 🐦 🥚

• Like 2

For output ideas, I don't know if your kid is a fan of Harry Potter, but if so he might like what we did last year. My oldest made a Fantastic Beasts book of his own, with a 2-4 page fully illustrated spread for each animal. He figured out how to group them on his own, and then bound with a leather stamped cover. It was a really fun, and very effective, way to have output for our homemade Zoology course.

For a younger target age, but you mentioned him liking it: My second oldest next year is doing Zoology with output in WildKratts style. He will design reports with creature powers, and how to find the creatures. I haven't figured it all out, but it won't be essay format but more list of facts/features.

• Like 2

Literature, literature everywhere. 😄 Some of those we have and some just got tucked into his Amazon list. 😄

I legit did look up the Wingspan game! I was debating between the board or computer version. The big kids will be off on adventures next school year and it will just be the little two home most of the time. The other "small" will be 8th grade and used to be bird obsessed. They don't always combine well but I expect they'll get better when there aren't any other options. (🤞)

❤️ Wind in the Willows.

The little dude is currently on book 4 of Harry Potter. We're all potterheads.  Loving the Fantastic Beasts connection. 🙂

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Something of an update for anyone following:

Build Your Library's level 7 update with zoology has been delayed. 

Textbooks: The Integrated Principles of Zoology by Hickman is solid, dense, and very high school level. Zoology by Miller also seems high school level, but much more approachable for younger or lower interest students. Having a high interest 5th grader and an always indifferent 8th grader, I'm going with the Miller text. Neither of them will be working straight through the textbook, but we'll use particular sections in age appropriate bites. 

Encyclopedias: Animal: The Definitive Visual Guide to the World's Wildlife (by Smithsonian) and the National Geographic Animal Encyclopedia are conveniently organized similarly. After the intro sections the animal groups are in the same order. My 8th will use the DVG and my 5th will use the NG, and I think we'll roll the rest of the books around these two. 

Other: I've collected a ridiculous amount of Scientist in the Field books. Zoology for Kids. Marine Science for Kids. Attenborough. Some Sy Montgomery titles (especially for the older one). Netflix and Disney+ have piles of documentaries. This is not counting literature tie-ins, which I put in their lit piles instead of scheduling with zoology.

Build Your Library's "Darwin and Evolution" unit study looks great for these ages and I'll give it a mention for others (also uses Calpurnia Tate!). We decided to just go through Evolution: The Story of Life on Earth (Hosler) instead, which is a graphic book, to start the year off. 

Making an animal field guide in Google Slides is another output idea for those who think they're allergic to pencils. (Mine!) 

• Like 2