Menu

STEM teaching book

MomN

Building Foundations of Scientific Understanding isn't exactly like Teaching the Classics- it's written as lessons to be done with your kids-but the spirit of it felt similar to me in that the author offers ideas for incorporating scientific discovery and conversation into your daily life. He also integrates the subject areas so you can really get a feel of the connections between physics, chem, bio...It wasnt the only curriculum we used, but it made me a better science teacher and opened my eyes to everyday opportunities to "do science". 

• Like 2

I have 3 kids who have pursued STEM careers (chemE, physics, meteorology).  My suggestion is to not think about teaching them STEM.  Give them lots of science books to read.  Not textbooks, but whole books on science topics that inspire curiosity and a desire to learn more.  Those are the types of books that encourage them to observe and think vs. presenting science as facts or just fun/exciting with messy/explosive science demonstrations. 

FWIW, building a strong foundation in math is more important than any elementary science program. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, 8filltheheart said:

Give them lots of science books to read.  Not textbooks, but whole books on science topics that inspire curiosity and a desire to learn more.  Those are the types of books that encourage them to observe and think vs. presenting science as facts or just fun/exciting with messy/explosive science demonstrations. 

Great idea.  How did you find such books?  I'm great at finding literature books my kids like to read, but science not so much.  Would you say look for illustrated books at the library on topics that interest them?  Check amazon reviews?  How would you find science books?  Thank you!

Books on Science:

Not sure how old your kids are, but the DK or Usborne Science Encyclopedias cover a lot of topics with lots of pictures and lots of information. There are some shorter ones on specific subjects, such as "My First Encyclopedia of Animals" for youngers/elementary or "Space encyclopedia" for older elementary or general ones like "Science Encyclopedia".

Otherwise, just enter the topic (such as mars) or branch (astronomy or botany or zoology, etc.) of science into your library search engine and you'll have a plethora to choose from. 

You could also do a search here on the boards as sometimes people make lists of good books.

What ages are your kiddos?

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, MomN said:

Great idea.  How did you find such books?  I'm great at finding literature books my kids like to read, but science not so much.  Would you say look for illustrated books at the library on topics that interest them?  Check amazon reviews?  How would you find science books?  Thank you!

We read whole trade books like the ones found here: https://www.nsta.org/outstanding-science-trade-books-students-k-12

We like Scientists in the Field, nature books by Jean Craighead George, A View from the Oak, etc.  I search for whole books on topics written in a narrative format. Some older books are excellent for introducing topics.  We have some really old books on how radios work, electricity for boys, etc.  They are written in engaging narrative and explain concepts well.   Some basics remain the same, so while technology has left those things in the dust, the scientific principles are accessible to kids.

• Like 2

My oldest (9 years old) has a huge love for science simply through books around the house. I have intentionally filled our house with LOTS of stem books. Usborne is the best source that I have found. He will pore over books about engineering, bridges and tunnels, science encyclopedias, etc. Check out their website...they have a LOT of options for all age ranges.

• Like 3

21 hours ago, alisha said:

Books on Science:

Not sure how old your kids are, but the DK or Usborne Science Encyclopedias cover a lot of topics with lots of pictures and lots of information. There are some shorter ones on specific subjects, such as "My First Encyclopedia of Animals" for youngers/elementary or "Space encyclopedia" for older elementary or general ones like "Science Encyclopedia".

Otherwise, just enter the topic (such as mars) or branch (astronomy or botany or zoology, etc.) of science into your library search engine and you'll have a plethora to choose from. 

You could also do a search here on the boards as sometimes people make lists of good books.

What ages are your kiddos?

My oldest two are 8 and 6.

20 hours ago, 8filltheheart said:

We read whole trade books like the ones found here: https://www.nsta.org/outstanding-science-trade-books-students-k-12

We like Scientists in the Field, nature books by Jean Craighead George, A View from the Oak, etc.  I search for whole books on topics written in a narrative format. Some older books are excellent for introducing topics.  We have some really old books on how radios work, electricity for boys, etc.  They are written in engaging narrative and explain concepts well.   Some basics remain the same, so while technology has left those things in the dust, the scientific principles are accessible to kids.

These links are awesome!  I love the narrative format you mentioned.  So many of the encyclopedia-type books I purchased have beautiful illustrations but can't keep out attention content-wise.  

• Like 1

Not sure what grades you're teaching, but Evan Moor has some STEM workbooks we really like. I need structure to make things happen, something kinda open and go. 

https://www.evan-moor.com/homeschool-stem-and-critical-thinking-bundle-grade-5  Here's something to get you started, but they have a whole section of STEM and another for STEAM.

https://www.lakeshorelearning.com/products/stem/building-engineering/create-a-chain-reaction-stem-kit-grspan-stylewhite-space-nowrap3-5-span-master-set/p/PP849  Lakeshore Learning also has a whole section of STEM, with tons of great stuff. We've used this kit and I HIGHLY recommend it. They have a K-2 kit as well that would be good. They have lego STEM, architecture, all kinds of stuff. Love, love, love. Easy to implement, open and go. 

https://www.lakeshorelearning.com/products/stem/labs-activities/steam-reproducible-design-challenges-gr5/p/TS815  I haven't seen this in person, just noticed it when I was getting the Lakeshore link for you, but it's probably good. https://www.amazon.com/Creative-Teaching-Press-Challenges-Resource/dp/B071HWG5PT/ref=sr_1_2?crid=3UJ315TDEYKZZ&dchild=1&keywords=steam+design+challenges&qid=1613574657&sprefix=steam+design+%2Caps%2C418&sr=8-2  Looks like amazon has it too. Like I said, I'm always looking for structure, because without that I just have good intentions, lol.

Some things I've seen (in person STEM workbooks) are better than others. Some are really vague. I think just look at the options and see what fits your dc. We've done GEMS units from Lawrence. http://www.lhsgems.org  They were doing their stuff before STEM became a thing, lol. Some of the units are free, so check it out. 

For me, this is just me, but I like to have things that are open ended be short duration (a focus for a month in May, whatever) and my things that are more structured (workbook with 36 lessons) be my week in, week out thing. So I wouldn't guilt yourself over methodologies. They all have a place and a season and it's ok to pick the approach that fits the season you're in. If right now you're like FEBRUARY SUCKS, LET ME OUT, then maybe a kit from Lakeshore and some living books or videos is what you need! But if you're wanting a plan for next year, something you can divide across weeks, maybe you'd like the structure of one of the Evan Moor workbooks supplemented with a trade book each week.

Edited by PeterPan
  • Like 1