Menu

Spanish taught like language arts?

JenJenQ

We are a Spanish speaking household and and view Spanish literacy as very important, both for our household and for the outside world.

I'm thinking about incorporating the language into our schoolwork like we do English, with spelling, grammar, writing and reading. I feel like it would create a much deeper love and understanding for Spanish while helping me devote more time to Spanish speaking since I have a tendency to revert back to English.

Are there any recommendations that you guys have for spelling, grammar, or reading? For writing, I just wanted to continue with the narrations, dictations, and copywork.

I have a 1st grader who understands very little Spanish so I started her on Getting Started with Spanish and so far its going well. My 3rd grader is harder to place since he does very well in Spanish reading and writing, better than in English. Most currics that I looked at tend to start at the very beginning with the alphabet, numbers, objects. He is not at an introductory level and when I try to find something in Spanish for him, the workbooks tend to be written for adults. 

Any recommendations, advice, or thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

You are asking an interesting, but very wide open question. I have a few thoughts for you in random order -

There is bilingual education board, and i know this has been discussed previously, so you might look around in there.

I've heard it is better to get them solid on reading in one language before starting the next. You might prefer Spanish since it seems a bit more phonetically regular than English.

Math Mammoth and MEP both offer primary mathematics in Spanish, and both are solid programs.

The Mexican government has school books available on the internet. Libros.conaliteg.gob.mx

In the US, the publisher Santillana has interesting Spanish-language offerings.

Those last two might have better things for your 3rd grader, age appropriate but not simplistic.

Good luck!

I would start with a Spanish syllabary.

http://thephonicspage.org/On Reading/Resources/SilabasYSonidos-3.pdf

Then, La Pata Pita, a lovely book based on Spanish Syllables.

https://www.amazon.com/pata-pita-Spanish-Hilda-Perera/dp/1941802605/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=la+pata+pita&qid=1612209848&sr=8-1

After Spanish phonics via syllables are well learned, English syllables then English phonics.

syllabic phonics:

https://infogalactic.com/info/Syllabic_phonics

My syllables lessons teach English with syllables, would have to be slightly modified for a young student.

http://thephonicspage.org/On Reading/syllablesspellsu.html

• Like 1

Here is a pdf of a Spanish spelling book.

Here is a pdf of a combined grammar and spelling book.

I got them both from this list...though many on the list are for adults.

I don't know exactly what you are looking for. I think all spelling and grammar books (English and Spanish) for very young children start with the alphabet and identifying nouns. And while there are reading comprehension workbooks, I don't really think many homeschoolers start formal literature study with young kids. With my kids, I just read to them (in English and Spanish), and talk about what we read, and occasionally use vocab like setting, character, plot, etc.

We might be able to help you find what you are looking for if you give us a better understanding of what you hope it will teach.

11 minutes ago, JHLWTM said:

I think Rod and Staff had Spanish grammar lessons and literature?

Yes, they do. I have used them, purchased from milestonebooks.com (note, they are Christian-based). 

@JenJenQ You have to look for materials written for native speakers, or you will get the "learning to speak" type of materials. Some good resources have been listed above, and I've used a few of those. I have also written my own lessons, integrating them into our core lessons. You can also look up Alma Flor Ada. She has a wealth of literature resources..

• Like 1

I started grammar in 1st with Getting Started with Spanish, followed by The Fun Spanish and Spanish for Children. I do not recommend Spanish For Children for non Spanish speaking households. I rotate these "daily" with Fix It! grammar because we use IEW.

I have not found a writing resource I like (we are very much a predominantly English speaking household). I pull from Brave Writer and NaNoWriMo for our Spanish.

I pull literature from classic lists. If a book is available in English and Spanish I use Spanish. I do make exceptions because authors like Tolkien should be read in English, but that's my general rule.

I like resources like The Well Trained Mind and Teaching the Classics because they teach you how to teach, then you are equipped to do what you want.

Edited by Slache

Earlier in the Pandemic, when there was such a flood of people coming into homeschooling, I noticed on a couple of my local FB groups that Latinx families were referring new families to some Spanish language homeschool groups on FB. So... I do not have any specific references for you, but that is a resource that apparently exists and may be able to help you.

Sorry if I was vague! I have a hard time properly articulating my thoughts.

With the lit, i planned the same procedure like in WTM, read to/with the kids and narrations here and there. My local library has very limited spanish selection so basically I was looking for highly recommended spanish books that I can purchase. 

Grammar and spelling are the ones most difficult for me to find. I will definitely look into Rod and Staff, Santillana, Spanish for Children. Thank you so much

I have bought many Spanish books through Scholastic. They have WAY more Spanish titles available through their Teacher Store, and homeschoolers just have to email Scholastic to be given a teacher log in.

It is very annoying that you cannot limit search results on the Teacher Store by language, so instead I always end up searching for titles with "el", "la", "los" and "las".

There are many fiction and nonfiction choices at all different reading and listening levels.

Also, in non-pandemic years, I have always gone to the Scholastic Warehouse sales at the warehouse near me. Those have less Spanish choices than online, but still plenty, and good deals.