Menu

Seeking *quality* French resources for enthusiastic beginner eager to communicate.

Jr would like to learn French. Most commercial "Foreign Language for Kids" resources are repetitive and lead nowhere. I'm looking for quality resources to help him be successful.

He has and enjoys using

McGraw Hill French For Kids
French for Beginners and
French for Kids with Paul Noble 

He also has a First Words type book for additional vocabulary and is enjoying memorizing the words. He has been able to work through the above materials with only some-times help from Hubby or I. He really loves the Paul Noble course and is now at the point that he completes the whole thing once or twice a week because he's mastered the patterns and just loves feeling like "he can talk". I'm giving him the regular Paul Noble French courses to give him more exposure to other grammar patterns. 
He's so enthusiastic about communicating via French and he wants to do "French for school". I need a mix of resources to help him "solidify" his basics and move him a little forward with grammar but keeps building his listening and speaking abilities. He does not want to restrict his speaking only to the Present Tense verbs.
Do you have any suggestions?

Watching TV definitely helps with the listening ability, especially if it is the program he likes. You can find some in Netflix (if he is older) or https://www.telequebec.tv/jeunesse-famille (for younger ones). My daughter is grade 6 so we listen to french news during our breakfast and I encourage her to watch all movies in french (she grows up watching all animation in french btw).

Speaking is way difficult, you need to find a tutor who is willing to talk to him in french. I don't see any other ways around this....  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TrustAndLove said:

Watching TV definitely helps with the listening ability, especially if it is the program he likes. You can find some in Netflix (if he is older) or https://www.telequebec.tv/jeunesse-famille (for younger ones). My daughter is grade 6 so we listen to french news during our breakfast and I encourage her to watch all movies in french (she grows up watching all animation in french btw).

Speaking is way difficult, you need to find a tutor who is willing to talk to him in french. I don't see any other ways around this....  

Yeah, that's what we do. Cartoons in the language of choice and spoken language with a native speaker. (Since we're doing Russian, that happens to conveniently be me.) 

Do you have any French?

Honestly, as the parent of a fellow second grader, I would just read a lot of picture books, watch a lot of cartoons, and do activities where you speak French to him (hand me the blue crayon, please).  At second grade, I'd be focusing on developing his ear and his accent.  Grammar and written stuff can come later.

• Like 1

We have really enjoyed using TalkBox.mom.   Depending on the age of kid, he could be in charge of it.  Basically, you pick a couple of phrase that use use in your everyday life and add them in French.    There is an easy to use app and book and a homeschool phrases supplement that we use all the time.   If you like the book/app and you learn all the applicable phrases you could try the boxes.   As far as communicating, it definitely gets you communicating right away.  We also watch videos in our language. 

• Thanks 1